lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-29-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
brikman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Creaking Grinding Noise Left Rear Axel G29

New to me g29 is making a creaking noise at certain speed just inside the left rear tire. It’s a 2007 with what I assume were the factory tires that were completely worn out so fairly high mileage. I recently changed axel oil with oem Yamaha oil and got new wheels and tires and there was no change. Any ideas of what this noise might be and should I be worried about it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
brikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
LPnTX
Gone Wild

Default Re: Creaking Grinding Noise Left Rear Axel G29

search "white tag axle" on this forum. In 2007, yamaha had bad axles on many of their carts.
LPnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

reach down behind your wheel/rim between the hub and the transaxle...there is a collar or sleeve tube that slides over the axle...try and spin that with your hand...if the axle nut holding the hub is not tight that sleeve will spin while the cart is moving and make described noise...Just something simple to check that is common on G29s I work on. You should not be able to spin that sleeve while cart is not moving..
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:40 PM   #4
brikman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
reach down behind your wheel/rim between the hub and the transaxle...there is a collar or sleeve tube that slides over the axle...try and spin that with your hand...if the axle nut holding the hub is not tight that sleeve will spin while the cart is moving and make described noise...Just something simple to check that is common on G29s I work on. You should not be able to spin that sleeve while cart is not moving..
Thank you Camaroluvz, you are absolutely correct! That sleeve spins almost freely and makes a screeching noise, also loose on the right side, just not as much. What is the procedure to tighten the axle nut and eliminate the loose sleeve?
Old 10-30-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

jack up rear end, take the rubber/plastic dust cover off the center(If you have stock wheels...if you have aftermarket now with center cap you may have to remove wheel entirely) and you will see the axle nut with a cotter pin(some models also have a nut that slides over axle nut to keep cotter pin in place that just slides off after removing cotter pin). Simply tighten axle nut with impact until that collar mentioned no longer moves freely from hub and then put back together...Hope that takes care of it for ya...
Old 11-03-2020, 12:25 AM   #6
brikman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

That was it, both side tightened down and ride is silent. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #7
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Glad to hear it and thanks for the update!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha