lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #21
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: My second G9 clone BB

Thanks Hookm, where is that camera I'll unload it here and find something to post....

Here is a pic of the bottom side of my throttle and choke linkage. I had to drill another hole in the (right) choke lever this carb was different and swung longer. This is a better copy of the first one I did.

Here is pics of the muffler and chrome tip I slapped on, automotive hangars. It seems to work well only moves about half inch when I jump on rear bumper and engine moves forward.

Pic of engine already dirty after 15min down the driveways there. See temp tube to the stock airbox until I get the car box. My cool blue fuel line.

I also put the spring I had in the primary clutch and it did not do a lot. It helps but not enough it needs to be stronger, after a bit I will take it out and see what I notice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09032012 clone running 002.jpg (152.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 09032012 clone running 006.jpg (137.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 09032012 clone running 007.jpg (156.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 09032012 clone running 015.jpg (170.7 KB, 0 views)
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #22
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

That looks great Sho.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Thanks, and SWEET I got my airbox this morning! It was supposed to rain and guy said I had to go out and look for it, instead it was sunny and he rode me to the back of the yard in his truck, airbox was just sitting there waiting for me.

Why does an old dirty airbox make you so happy lol But they fit in the cart great and pvc pipe attaches to the bottom like it was made for it, now I can pipe it to the front I need a 2.5 muffler clamp is all & I might have one in the garage.

Only bad part is I might not have time to work on it this weekend family stuff to do instead Anyway, I can jet the carb and all that next time all I need is a elbow maybe coupling to attach to the tube on the carb.

Here are some pics of the first clone airbox, but I will not have the big tube on the carb. Going to convert that cart soon as I get the right studs for carb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart engine 003.jpg (204.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart engine 011.jpg (189.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

Things are looking good there Sho, you've got me wanting to do this with mine but I'm sure I'll wait until winter before I think too serious. What is the airbox off from that you are using on these? You must be down in the lower part of the state because up here by Frankfort it rained like crazy until about a half hour ago. I would also like to see some pictures of how you did your lifts if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Bill
Honorstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #25
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I saw the big clouds to the North, but all sunshine here....its partly cloudy now still some sun. Its an early 90s chevy cavilier 4 cylinder.

I have some pics someplace, but I would do it differently now. I lifted these in 99 when there were no kits around. Today I might just buy a dual arm unless I stayed on the pavement with it, or hack the front off a quad and weld on. The rear is easy just a block in the shock mount, the front takes some more work and there are various ways to do it. I cut the end of the arm and bent it out, jacked the top of shock down, then welded the arm at correct angle. The steering should be modified it does not turn as sharp, but it works pretty well. However on pavement I never run it can act a little strange if the toe is not spot on, it will pull the tires in/out as you go due to the high angle of the arms. On the trails it works great in the corners, so I'd like to lower the arms part way. But the engine is more important the front end works pretty well as is. If I find a deal I'll drop an atv front on it, but really would rather build up a second cart.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Got to work on the cart again but did not get much done. The bracket for the gen broke again so I cut the end off and put a piece of heavier angle iron on it. Was a pain because I had to locate the hole right in the corner to fit on the block then fit it all and tack it, take it off weld it, paint it, put back on. Added a gusset to it as well its not going to break again.

Tried a spring in the stock clutch and it really didn't do much so I took it back out. Then I put my old belt on and it ran about the same (its like 1 1/8 wide). Until I got out on the road then I see my top speed was down. Found the clutch was not closing all the way. This could be from wear or because I had to hack rebuild it with bushings we made. Anyway found the cogged belt did go near the top. I have modded this clutch to close more but maybe the weights are done by then not sure. It does seem that if the sheaves were not worn down so much it would be closed more. Hard to move the engine to check that (belt length). Will have to play with it later but suffice to say the wider cogged kevlar HD belt works much better. That made me think any cart with a lot of wear on the clutches should try a 1 1/4" wide belt to make up for the wear and just get them working properly.

If I hold the brakes for about 2 seconds with the gas floored it will peel the tire pretty good on take off on dirt or gravel.

Got my airbox and hose and tried to put that on but ran out of time. I need a small 90 elbow of hose, so I think I'll go get a radiator hose with a sharp bend in it. Then have to size it up to 3" to fit the car hose/airbox, and get 2" pvc fittings to pipe it to the front. Finally then I can jet the carb. Getting some hours on it just the same, it runs nice but is not right on top end. It is like the stock one pretty much though I think that one pulls a hair more at mid speeds and mine is snappier at lower speeds. Will have to get it jetted and see.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

Need to keep the pics coming for us. I keep tracking these builds so I can be ahead the game once I decide to do a swap on mine.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I hear you but totally forgot the camera last weekend. I was going to take the video cam and see if the sound came out better, can't really tell how it sounds on the one video I did with the camera that didn't turn out that good.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #29
Honorstick
Gone Wild Still Learnin

Yamaha

Hey Sho
Just curious how much louder the clone is over stock, twice as loud?

I would kind of like to do this to my cart but I also want to keep it quiet for use as a hunting buggy. I don't care about gaining a lot of speed but extra torque couldn't hurt.

Thanks
Bill
Old 09-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #30
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I could hardly hear the stock engine exhaust. Engine noise is about the same but this exhaust is about loud as a lawnmower when I step on it hard. Going a steady 5-15mph it is just a little louder not much. A non-cart person might not notice if I kept it under 1/4 throttle.

It has a lot more torque. I kept holding the brake for about 2 seconds with it on the floor and it would peel the tire from a dead stop, then I'd laugh like crazy. That about makes it all worth it for me.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps