lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
93dscart
Not Yet Wild

Default Gas Spitting out of intake

93 Club Car DS FE290.
Had bad rings so i bought a new piston and rings, changed them out and now it won't start. When I turn it over, without the airbox connected, gas spits out of the carburetor's air intake. I've checked to make sure the engine was turning the right way(counter clockwise if looking at engine from passenger side).
I was told by a friend that my timing could be off. How can I check this? At TDC, what position should the valves be in? I'd really hate to have to pull the engine again and take this thing apart...again. Thanks in advance!
93dscart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Gas Spitting out of intake

Top dead center is the beginning of 4 cycles of operation, so both valves should be closed. The timing on these is typically not adjustable like on older cars or tractors with distributors etc. If the timing is off its either a mechanical issue or a cdi issue.

Have you checked and set the valve lash?

If you are having fuel spitting out of the carb I would think you have an issue with the carb. Might be time to check the float. While you have the carb out, give is a really good cleaning. Carb spray all the jets. Remove the pilot jet and make sure its not plugged.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
93dscart
Not Yet Wild

I have not checked the valve lash. Using the same valves as before the piston change so I would assume they fit good.
When I say gas is spitting out of the carb air intake, it's blowing out like the compression is going the wrong way...like the starter is spinning the wrong way. It's not, but that's what it's like. I can feel air pushing out the carb and out the exhaust.
The timing I'm referring to is the notches on the crankshaft gear, balancer gear and camshaft gear.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you did not check the valve lash you are doing yourself a disservice.

The timing marks on the cam and crank gears should be lined up to each other. This photo is of a Vanguard vtwin engine, but the idea is the same with a single cylinder. The two marks/dots should be lined up together/touching so to speak. Is that how you installed them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16 Vanguard cam installed.jpg (295.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-20-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
93dscart
Not Yet Wild

I'm 95% sure I aligned the dots between the crankshaft and the camshaft. The repair manual that I read didn't say anything about the balancer gear though.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dscart View Post
I'm 95% sure I aligned the dots between the crankshaft and the camshaft. The repair manual that I read didn't say anything about the balancer gear though.
Yeah the balancer doesn't affect whether it will start and run though. It will, however cause issues with vibration if it's not aligned properly. Also the balancer can contact the con rod or crank if its not installed and lined up properly.

The engine manual should detail all that. If not, you may not have the correct manual.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:07 AM   #7
93dscart
Not Yet Wild

I'm working on this cart and an atv at the same time, so I'm getting things confused.
I forgot that I also installed new valves and pushrods. I never lapped the new valves(tearing the engine down right now). Would this cause the blowback? If the valves aren't sealing, air could get pushed back into the carb, right?
Old 11-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

FE290 is not like the yamahas or ezgo with a separate balance shaft. It’s got a counterbalance weight connected to the crankshaft via connecting rods. Nothing to screw up there.

There’s a dot on the crank gear and can gear. If they were aligned when you put it together, you’re good.

I’d just check valve lash adjustment and make sure that’s correct. If you didn’t reset the lash then they’re off. 99% of the time when you have an issue like this it’s the valve lash being wrong.

Look at the stickies at the top of this section, the FE290 rebuild. There’s pictures of timing marks and everything in there to verify. But as said, not really much to screw up.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
93dscart
Not Yet Wild

When I do my timing marks, does the piston need to be TDC right before intake stroke? I had to take it apart anyway to lap the valves and I was looking at it. The timing marks were lined up, but not with TDC before intake stroke. At TDC before intake stroke, the timing marks were off 180 degrees. So I went ahead and changed it so that they lined up while piston was TDC.
Hope this makes sense...
Old 11-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93dscart View Post
When I do my timing marks, does the piston need to be TDC right before intake stroke? I had to take it apart anyway to lap the valves and I was looking at it. The timing marks were lined up, but not with TDC before intake stroke. At TDC before intake stroke, the timing marks were off 180 degrees. So I went ahead and changed it so that they lined up while piston was TDC.
Hope this makes sense...
The piston doesn't know what stroke it's in, it's just either up all the way or not. The cam is what determines what the valves do and where you are in the 4 strokes of operation. The timing marks ensure that you align the two properly. If the cam was off 180 degrees, the two marks would not line up together.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car