lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default 670 Predator in line filter fuel pump suction port?

Does anybody know why the suction port on the stock fuel pump has an in line filter on it? At the time I was troubleshooting a fuel delivery problem. I was checking to see if the fuel pump was doing its job. Seemed it wasnt pumping as good as it should so I traced the pulse line back. Its got a filter on it. I took it out unscrewed it and found what I thought was dirt at the time like a steel wool. I removed the " dirt" I thought was in in and started the machine up. Seems like it runs ok but when you back off the throttle the carb intake gets gas in it! Machine runs terribly rich!!!!!Not sure if the two are related? Any ideas out there?
chazdo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 670 Predator in line filter fuel pump suction port?

I know there is a filter there...just thought it was a factory provided fuel filter. No reason to remove it on mine...Can't imagine it is a fuel metering device. I'm guessing it isn't related. I suspect you have an issue with either the fuel cutoff solenoid on the bottom of the bowl, or your float valve is sticking open/closed. I would pull the bowl off, remove the float, clean that needle valve and the port coming in really well. I removed the plunger on my cutoff solenoid and haven't had an issue with it, and never backfires. What was your original symptom before removing the filter?
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I havent taken the carb back off. I cleaned it a while back so I was ruling out the stuck float but its looking like that now Ill pull it out again. Thanks . Its running WAY to rich!!!
Old 11-15-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Fuel filter should be in the intake fuel line from the tank. I never seen a filter on the pulse line, the pulse line pulses back and forth its not supposed to flow in one direction unless your pump is bad and the diaphragm is ruptured. However I get oil in my pulse off the valve cover, its from blowby forcing it up there. But I have a cam and rod in it and it only does it at high rpm, its a common issue with gokarts. I have to redo my pulse and see if I can get rid of it. The stock G2/9 yamaha have a circulating line that I think is for this reason. If you run a stock G9 pump off the intake it can overflow the carb but it overflows the float which usually comes out outside the carb. You have to run a return line, but the G9 pump is larger than most lawn pumps. It will do it at idle mostly when the intake pulse is strongest. But you should not have that issue with a stock setup that has been designed to work that way. Above issues are on engine swaps usually using the cart pump. A fuel filter wont stop oil most likely the filter will be pugged by it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #5
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You still da man sho!! Thanks again!
Old 11-17-2020, 09:22 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

When it comes to carbs and manifolds Sho has some " strange magic " and it really works
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #7
chazdo2
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just ran the 670 predator for a while after I checked the float and needle. Wasnt stuck but cleaned it anyway. Opens and shuts as it should by blowing in the gas line and turning the carb upside down. Started it up and there still is gas puddling in the intake flange outside the choke butterflies. Is the float level too high? I never adjusted it and the first time it ever came off was a few times ago. Any more suggestions?
Old 01-25-2024, 06:28 PM   #8
rileymon
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The filter you refer to is a breather to stop oil from reaching the fuel pump ,sort of a deflector.the vent tube needs to be open ,that’s the one in front of the fuel intake.if the vent tube is blocked in any way the carb will flood .
We run an electric fuel pump with a 1.5 lb pressure regulator,no problem.
rileymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps