lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
somfas
Gone Wild

Default TC Charger CANbus connect to Zeva help

I finally have my pack built, but have something wrong with the TC Charger wiring. Looking for guidance on how to wire it correctly to the Zeva. I think my issue is with the connection on the side for the CANBus. It came with only a red and black wire coming out of the big connector on the charger side for the CANbus. It also had a red and black wire with a diode between them and labels that said +14v and -14V. So, coming out of the big (16 pin or so) plug on the side, I had 2 black wires and 2 red wires. Zeva says it should also have a CANH and CANL hooked up. Any idea what I am talking about? And any suggestions? Thanks
somfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: TC Charger CANbus connect to Zeva help

I believe DaveTM is running this same setup. If he doesn't chime in, maybe you can PM him.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You may want to post a picture of that connector to avoid mistakes.

The CAN-H and CAN-L are closest (one on top and one on bottom row) to the "led" side of the connector.

You also need the "gnd" pin but not the +12v wire as only the Zeva should power the CAN bus.

There should be a 120 ohm resistor between the CAN-H and CAN-L wires to terminate the CAN bus if the charger is at the end of the bus.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Now I have to think!!! It's been awhile since I set this up.....but these pic's may help until I re-look at my setup.

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

You connect the CAN-L and the CAN-H from the TC chargers "signal connector" using the correct ports as shown in my above post. You ALSO connect the CAN-L & CAN-H wires from the monitor to the SAME connections on the ZEVA.

I also have a 120 OHM Resistor on my TC Charger signal connector.

I got the resistor when I had the TC Charger re-programed for CANBus. (Don't ask ). This link on my initial build may provide you with more education\info. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...&postcount=247

Old 10-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
somfas
Gone Wild

Thanks for the responses! I will dig through those and compare to what I have. I think I have been able to successfully attach the pic to this post. I am running the monitor on one end like Dave has and believe that it has a built in resistor. I also thought the charger did too, and maybe its the one that can be seen in the picture? I wasn't planning to add any additional resistors unless I still need to.

In my pic, the red and black wire that have the resistor between them, they have a factory sticker on the wires that say +14v and -14v??

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC wire.jpg (25.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
somfas
Gone Wild

Correction from my last post: The red and black wire with the resistor have a heat shrink label that says CanH and CanL. The other two wires in the middle of the group have the -14v and +14v. So, with that, I understand why I may have had issues, but would still like reassurance on wiring this now. Should all 4 of these wires go into the CANbus plug that can plug into the Hall Sensor (or EVMS or monitor, etc). Thanks again
Old 10-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The CAN bus wires with the termination resistor is correct for the charger being at the end of the line.

You should not connect the other red wire (+12v) to the can bus wires as the Zeva box is already providing +12v to the bus.

You only want 3 wires: CAN-H, CAN-L and GND.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

EDIT: Sergio posted as I was typing. I don't wanna muddy up the water.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If that negative wire is not in the same cable bundle as the CAN-H and CAN-L wires, then You do not need it since the cable is not shielded.

The CAN bus itself just needs two wires, but normally a shielded cable would connect the negative as well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium