lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #51
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: 24mm Experimental Carburetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Carb needs to be adjustable to tune it, or at least change the jets out. That is the problem with these cheap epa carbs. I use a slide carb now it works far better but had to make a whole intake setup to get it on there. Shepard did a nice job making them work better, the idle mix must be right on to get a low idle. backfire letting off is usually too lean. The main jet you can file it open with a torch tip cleaner to make it larger, go little at a time, make sure its warmed up when you test run it, if you can't get a jet for a carb. But the idle is tiny even the drill set I got looked too big for my clone carb. I put a strand of wire through it and sawed it back and forth for a while and that seemed to make it big enough. The idle jet is basically the maximum flow for your idle mix if you can get an adjustable screw on it.
All good carburetors are adjustable -- how you adjust it tells if it's a good carburetor or a great carburetor. A great carb is adjustable by hand -- a good carb requires changing the jets and finding the sweet spot. A great carb can be tuned in 5-10 minutes -- a good carb can take hours of work to find the "sweet spot". If I can get a needle adjuster in the base of the fuel bowl on a Mikuni -- that would make it a great carburetor.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #52
Jdwilliams515
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
All good carburetors are adjustable -- how you adjust it tells if it's a good carburetor or a great carburetor. A great carb is adjustable by hand -- a good carb requires changing the jets and finding the sweet spot. A great carb can be tuned in 5-10 minutes -- a good carb can take hours of work to find the "sweet spot". If I can get a needle adjuster in the base of the fuel bowl on a Mikuni -- that would make it a great carburetor.
Shepard, do you have any carbs on deck that are ready to go or could I ship out my carb to get reworked by you? If you can, PM me and we can figure something out.

I appreciate it!
Jdwilliams515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #53
stewartfan1970
Not Yet Wild

Hey Shepard. I recently purchased the 24mm bored carb from Vegas cart only to learn that it doesn't have the mixture adjustment. Would you be willing to modify it for me and what would you charge?
stewartfan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #54
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Bump
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:15 PM   #55
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Someone once said the std mixture screw kit for clones would fit. That would be gx200 kit you can get at any gokart place. I'm not 100% sure if that is true. This is the main jet not the idle, you put a large main in and the screw cuts it down to what you want.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #56
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Bump
Old 06-04-2021, 07:29 AM   #57
Jbrowne479
Not Yet Wild

thanks for bumping this up Raydhd!

so the new idle mixture screw has to be hand built? or is there one that can be bought?

I have a buddy with a mill in his fab shop, might have to go sweet talk him with a case of cold ones haha.
Jbrowne479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #58
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Just bear in mind that if you going to rev one of these engines up, a billet connecting rod and HD valve springs are needed to keep it alive.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #59
Jbrowne479
Not Yet Wild

I did add 35lb springs already, have been looking at connecting rods and billet flywheels lately. (stock flywheel sheared my 6* advance key off this weekend and cut my fun short)
Jbrowne479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #60
88Chevys10
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Just bear in mind that if you going to rev one of these engines up, a billet connecting rod and HD valve springs are needed to keep it alive.
What's everyone doing for the 625cc engines? Are the carbs similar as the 420/440/460 clone engines? Is the nrracing 3 circuit carb adjustable or are those broke off and epoxy covering the adjustment screws too?
88Chevys10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps