lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
BlackFab
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default EZ-GO swap with Predator 420cc

We have started the process on our first clone swap.

Green 2006 EZ GO with some terrible engine noise and loss of power.

Swapping to a 13hp Predator 420cc, using the stock clutch via the VC tapered clutch adapter. Should be in on Tuesday. Took the stock engine out in a matter of minutes and sat it in my floor.

Picking up the 420cc tomorrow. Hoping to have an engine mount made this week sometime.

Any input is welcomed, I'm going to swap the white cart next,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151129_165052.jpg (188.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1129151457b.jpg (188.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20151129_165044.jpg (177.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20151129_164908.jpg (176.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1203151937.jpg (187.8 KB, 0 views)
BlackFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2015, 12:59 AM   #2
helix149
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZ-GO swap with Predator 420cc

I strongly recommend not using clutch adapter and instead buying a new clutch... I say this for several reasons. First and foremost while I love my predator engine in my club car I am on my second one and not having to cut 2 hardened shafts is a godsend. Second you really arent saving that much money and will invest tons of time into cutting and possibly tapping a new shaft. For me another reason is eventually knowing how I am it will get another upgrade likely to a 25hp engine when this happens I simply swap clutch onto the new one no worries using factory clutch on that many ponies would make me nervous. Whatever you decide man Good luck and have fun with it... I started a year ago with a 91 club car essentially bone stock and tired 2 engines later today I put a lift and 22 inch tires on it and still have less into it than many stock carts sell for in my area.
helix149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix149 View Post
I strongly recommend not using clutch adapter and instead buying a new clutch... I say this for several reasons. First and foremost while I love my predator engine in my club car I am on my second one and not having to cut 2 hardened shafts is a godsend. Second you really arent saving that much money and will invest tons of time into cutting and possibly tapping a new shaft. For me another reason is eventually knowing how I am it will get another upgrade likely to a 25hp engine when this happens I simply swap clutch onto the new one no worries using factory clutch on that many ponies would make me nervous. Whatever you decide man Good luck and have fun with it... I started a year ago with a 91 club car essentially bone stock and tired 2 engines later today I put a lift and 22 inch tires on it and still have less into it than many stock carts sell for in my area.
Ditto
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I think it depends on some factors, some people should and some its not worth buying a new clutch. The first clone I did is still running great with the stock clutch, it runs just like stock but has maybe twice the power. The second clone I put in was modded and ended up I had to swap to aftermarket in order to change my shift rpm higher. However in this case it still uses the adapter on a cut crank.

I never had an issue with cutting the crank, its not hardened, it can be cut with a hacksaw as easy as 1" bar would. An air grinder like I used is just a lot more fun. If you swap to a twin later you will have that crank to deal with and maybe you are out $40 worst case (but you didn't spendy on a new clutch either). While I would say a better clutch is a better idea with a 20hp or more engine people still run stock clutches even on those. You will get more out of a better clutch. The stock clone is nearly identical to the stock G9 powerband, for a yami the stock clutch works great on the stock clone. When you mod the clone then you run into problems as you can't tune the stock one much. So I run a 94c ezgo replacement on my clone that is tunable (lol, thanks Slo!). Not the best clutch but it works, works better than stock because I can raise shift rpm, and it runs fine on the cut crank and steel adapter from CPP I've run for years.

So while I would agree with you guys that if you plan to mod the thing you should think harder about a better clutch, it depends on what you do, and you can get around it later if you don't get one. If I swap to a twin I don't have to cut that crank, and there are tunable clutches for tapers, you can also run polaris atv clutches to name one other. I needed the gen pulley so this ezgo model was good for me.

Far as tapping the shaft you just drill it deeper and run a tap in it, maybe something to learn about if you never have but it didn't take me long to do it. Tapping anything takes time, some people don't know that.

I've never heard of a stock clutch breaking because of a larger motor, the issue is you can't tune them well. I would say the 1" belt clutches on CC are kind of substandard and I would run from them for a few reasons, though not sure breakage is one of them. They work on a stock cart but not good for much else, and hardly any belts are available for them because nobody else uses 1" belt. You can get them to work ok, just more of a pain because 1 3/16 or 1 1/4 are way more common in belts and clutches. And if your stock clutch is worn or beat don't expect it to work well for any engine, it may be a better idea to replace it just for that reason. Also remember you can sell parts you don't need and recoup some cash.

Just my .02, trying to help you do what works best for you. If you want to drop a stock clone in the stock clutch (in good working condition) should work fine and will save you money. For other situations you have to look at future plans, mods to engine, and your budget. Stock lawn engines tend to have the same powerband as stock golf carts, but stock clutches can lose a little in pure trail use and lose a lot with a modded engine.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
BlackFab
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Well, here is the deal... the first one is purely a utility type of vehicle, not looking to be abusive offroad or go extremely fast. The engine will stay completely 100% stock, so I'm fairly confident in the abilities of my stock clutch.

We are unsure of the destiny of the white cart currently, so depending on the direction we take with it will depend on the other things we buy, for example, if we were to modify or go bigger such as the 22hp V-Twin, we would just buy the entire cradle, comet 780, and a few other bits and go from there.

I appreciate all the input, definitely things to think about for future builds, as I am 100% certain that these two will not be the last.

As long as the engine mount and wiring goes smooth, this will be a relatively simple project.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #6
BlackFab
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

With the engine basically ready to set into the hole, we unboxed the Predator. As it was being lifted over into the cart, we noticed a critical problem. A busted base plate on the motor and a crack running all the way up the side of the block. Apparently it was dropped during shipping or something, because it had to be a rather serious blow to do the amount of damage that we found.

Of course to make matters more fun and delay the process, HF has no more in town, so I'm going to have to go about an hour away or so to the next closest store and swap it out. So we wait...
Old 01-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #7
BlackFab
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

New predator is in the hole, pics to follow. Still have to bolt everything down and measure for a new belt. Any suggestion for belt suppliers.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
98gastxt
Not Yet Wild

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452959987.904393.jpg
So I'm guessing they sent me your engine after you returned it.
98gastxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Brian Boyer
Gone Wild

I fail to understand why the idiots shipping these engines can't read the weight on the box and handle it accordingly. My first Lifan was damaged badly too/ had to exchange through Home Depot, (gave me 10% off though),..

This reflects on the morons shipping the products, not the products themselves. People are just plain stupid~ apparently it is a requirement to work in the logistics industry.
Brian Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
BlackFab
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

I should've taken a pic of mine, it was cracked from the base all the way up the side of the block.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps