lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default diode across solonoid?

Had my cart on charge last night, lightning hit ten feet from power meter and charger. Lost cable, internet, almost lost oven and thought the cart too. Altrax dx500 iq, d&d 170_506_0002 motor, mzj_400a48v solenoid w/ 3 amp diode 479 res, 2005 club car ds iq. Solenoid would not click, cart would only engage motor a bit with pedal, something was drawing current regardless of key or f/r switch position. Deduced diode may have broken down so disconnected it and solenoid will now click when key is turned and motor has power. Is cart ok to drive until replacement diode is obtained?
steveho is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: diode across solonoid?

it should be ok lots of carts don,t even have diodes or resistors on the solenoids....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

By running without diode you will be allowing high surge voltage to go back up into controller?
When a solenoid is TURNED OFF ( loss of voltage to small leads ) the field coil voltage collapses sending high voltage in excess of 150 volts back into controller doing permanent damage so the longer you go with out one the more damage you do.
Your money, your desision?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD MEC View Post
By running without diode you will be allowing high surge voltage to go back up into controller?
When a solenoid is TURNED OFF ( loss of voltage to small leads ) the field coil voltage collapses sending high voltage in excess of 150 volts back into controller doing permanent damage so the longer you go with out one the more damage you do.
Your money, your desision?

OLD MEC i understand what your saying so how do we explain all the carts without a diode or resistor? that run years without issue.............
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info. I had posted the question with my cell phone, just got my cable / internet back (forget the cable, missed my internet!) makes sense the field coil was what was drawing just enough current across the diode to enable the motor to turn just a bit. I'm a newbie to carts but get the collapse of the field producing a voltage. Hadn't driven it, just verified solenoid operation and full current / voltage to motor. Won't kill me to wait for a diode, besides I should have a lift kit in any day and it would be easier to just leave the body off to install it anyway. give me an excuse to pull the cowl while I wait. Hope the charger is OK.
Thanks all!!
Old 08-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am replying in the Club Car section and even though STEVEHO's avatar shows what looks like a Yamaha I feel that he is asking for help with a Club Car question, Or his stock Yamaha had diode and resistor as he indicated? I am only showing a loose QUOTE from the ALLTRAX manual which does not show brands of carts and ? I also know that some other brands dont use diodes nor resistors and dont know how they get around this type of problem, OR MAYBE its a way around cheap quality parts FOR CLUB CAR AND ALLTRAX, ETC BUT I DOUBT IT???, but some years back I had to eat the cost of a new 586 solenoid because WR wouldnt warentee because of lack of diode and a resistor on a brand cart that didnt have one when new? WR only lasted 30 plus days before burning contacts enough to STICK IN CLOSED POSITION? That along with a later dealer installed ( incorrectly adjusted linkage speed control ) allowed low power to motor ruining windings etc? I ate cost of solenoid, dealer replaced motor.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Actually the cart in my avatar, the hobby of my buds (God rest Ron, in the middle), is a 1989Cushman (Ransomes) Sprinter. These (a hundred?) were assembled during the transitions / buy outs of the time and have a Cushman frame, a Hundai motor and dump bed. some Yamaha and EZ go parts as well but it's a factory built utilty cart. Anyone ever seen another?
I keep the cart (named Opie) as my avatar in remebrance of Ron (passed a couple of months ago, "C"), he loved that puppy, kept it painted and would make sure we took it wherever we traveled. But yes my question was regarding t 05 CC DS.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Doc
Gone Wild

Kindof O/T , but Steveho, where did you get those raised white letter tires? I've been looking for them for some time...thanks,Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
steveho
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Oh you'l get a kick out of this. Like I said we three amigos have been cleaning up Opie for awhile and Ron was the artisitic one of us. those are not actually white letter tires. Ron found some product / paint / marker that he marked over the existing letters on the tires to make our own.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Tire paint and chalk like sticks in different colors used to be available from J C Whitneys and was great for touch up on lettered tires and narrow stripped tires from the 70s-80s. Not too permanent but if not hit on curbs was not bad life? Haven't thought about that for years but maybe still available?

Tags
lightning damage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car