lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #1
lissaconley
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 EZGO 2 Cycle Charging Issue

Hello, I bought a used 91 EZGO 2 cycle golf cart several months ago. The cart runs great.. but only when the battery is fulled charged with a battery charger.. the battery has never been able to charge with the electrical system.

I have replaced brand new parts - The generator, Voltage regulator, Battery, and a new CDI box is on the way.

My husband has checked all of the wires and we just cant figure out why the battery isn't charging. It's been frustrating, to say the least. Eventually, this cart will have all new parts while we try to figure out why the heck it's not charging.

Any advice?

Also, what is the exact purpose of the CDI box since there is a voltage regulator?

The solenoid on the cart doesn't look like the one in the manual. Mine has the posts at the top.. the manual shows the posts on the sides, near the bottom. Is there a difference?

He also has to remove the clutch on the motor. Does anyone know the thread size for the removal tool?
lissaconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1991 EZGO 2 Cycle Charging Issue

The CDI also known as the ignitor fires the coil to make spark.

Here's what you need to do....

Charge the battery so the cart runs.

Put the rear end up on jacks.

Put a meter on the two battery posts. Full battery voltage should be 12.7 volts.

Start the cart. Voltage should climb to 13-14 volts. Did it?

If not, this is where it gets interesting.

There is a small green wire that goes between the starter, and the center terminal of the voltage regulator.

Check that wire to make sure it isn't frayed, or shorted to anything, then remove it from the voltage regulator.

Take the end that you removed, and ground it to the engine.

Put your meter back on the battery terminals, and start the cart.

Voltage should climb as you increase speed. 17-18, maybe even 19 volts.
If it does the generator is producing, and the most likely problem is a bad voltage regulator. Even a new one.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:21 PM   #3
lissaconley
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1991 EZGO 2 Cycle Charging Issue

Thanks for your help! I will follow all the steps tomorrow and let you know the result.
lissaconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO