lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Weird issue, cart won’t stay running

Start with the basics :)

You can "rent" a compression tested from most auto parts stores for free. Just leave a deposit and they'll refund it when you return it.

There really isn't a whole lot to these motors. They're really pretty basic, but it's helpful to have a whole picture when trying to help over the internet

If compression is good we can check some other things. But its best to not assume anything and start fresh:)
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #12
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Start with the basics :)

You can "rent" a compression tested from most auto parts stores for free. Just leave a deposit and they'll refund it when you return it.

There really isn't a whole lot to these motors. They're really pretty basic, but it's helpful to have a whole picture when trying to help over the internet

If compression is good we can check some other things. But its best to not assume anything and start fresh:)
My boss is going to rent a compression gauge next time he is in town. Until then, what are some other things I can test? I don’t understand how it decides to only run sometimes. Fuel is the only thing I’m 100% positive of
Largemouth21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Auto zone, oreilly, etc rent them for free. You pay 50 bucks or whatever to use it and they refund it 100% when you return it.

I've got a suspicion your compression is low. But id want to confirm im wrong before diving in deep
Old 07-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #14
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Auto zone, oreilly, etc rent them for free. You pay 50 bucks or whatever to use it and they refund it 100% when you return it.

I've got a suspicion your compression is low. But id want to confirm im wrong before diving in deep
Welp, you were right 58psi in one cylinder and 60 in the other, I wonder why it ran good sometimes.... not sure how accurate the gauge is though
Old 07-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Make sure you hold the throttle at the carb wide open with your hand while cranking. Don't rely on the pedal, the cable being out of adjustment may not hold the throttle wide open with the pedal...

Also, double check the valve lash. I know you already said you set it, but I use .004 on all 4 of them. You'll have to rotate the engine over a half rotation to set the 2nd cylinder. And pay particular attention to the 2 valves in the middle (intake) they're known to wear so if you have considerably more threads showing on top.of the adjuster lock nut on those vs. The exhaust valves on the outside, you'll need to replace them. Once they're worn your compression can suffer, despite nothing at all being wrong with the bottom half of the motor.

If you're unsure what I'm describing just post a picture. Many of us can tell at a glance if they're worn or not.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:17 AM   #16
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

On these engines, As CP has already stated. The first thing i would have done was a compression check. You have found it very low, which suggests worn intake valves rather than ring wear or valve guide seals as you have not mention a smoking exhaust. Severe wear on the valves will drop compression drastically and cause poor starting and fading out on power.

One question. Is there oily residue in the air filter box?

As CP said, show us a picture of the lash adjusters. We like pictures LOL.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:14 PM   #17
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Make sure you hold the throttle at the carb wide open with your hand while cranking. Don't rely on the pedal, the cable being out of adjustment may not hold the throttle wide open with the pedal...

Also, double check the valve lash. I know you already said you set it, but I use .004 on all 4 of them. You'll have to rotate the engine over a half rotation to set the 2nd cylinder. And pay particular attention to the 2 valves in the middle (intake) they're known to wear so if you have considerably more threads showing on top.of the adjuster lock nut on those vs. The exhaust valves on the outside, you'll need to replace them. Once they're worn your compression can suffer, despite nothing at all being wrong with the bottom half of the motor.

If you're unsure what I'm describing just post a picture. Many of us can tell at a glance if they're worn or not.
I had the throttle all the way open, and I did notice one cylinder seemed to “bleed” the pressure faster than the other. Do you think that could be a sign of a valve issue? It doesn’t smoke when I can get it started so I think maybe it’s a valve issue
Old 07-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #18
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
On these engines, As CP has already stated. The first thing i would have done was a compression check. You have found it very low, which suggests worn intake valves rather than ring wear or valve guide seals as you have not mention a smoking exhaust. Severe wear on the valves will drop compression drastically and cause poor starting and fading out on power.

I think you’re right, I just don’t understand how it can run good for a few seconds and even drive for a while (I went about 1/4 mile) and then just sputter out and not restart. I’ll post a pic of valves
Old 07-31-2020, 03:24 PM   #19
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Here’s the head, about 2 threads showing on each
Can somebody please explain how a motor can run fine for a while if thexompression is really the issue? I got it to start and run fine for 1/4 mile but idk I’d it was full power or not, Cart is new to me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C1BF4DD-0A17-4BBA-9C0B-7FC7B965281F.jpg (119.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #20
Largemouth21
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post

Thanks for the help, I just posted a pic, there was a weird watery black/brown liquid in the air box, but wasn’t oily, I just removed the air box to work on it
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO