lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
smuponies
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Wiring for 3 Position Key Switch

Hello,

ScottyB has been helping me quite a bit. I am forever indebted. I figured I'd give him a break from the PMs and try the general forums. Great site, BTW, I've learned a ton in the past month!

My question is about the attached diagram ScottyB made for me. Can someone tell me which male connectors on the key switch I hook up to each wire? I have connectors labeled, I, L, B1, and B (or D, can't tell).

I have an existing Blue and Green that were on the original key switch. Plus, now I have the wire coming from B+ on the voltage reducer. Do I also need to run a new wire from the positive battery pack terminal? Or, is that already done with the Blue or Green wire?

Thank you for the help. Will post pictures soon of the project!

Drew

Wiring.png
smuponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
smuponies
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring for 3 Position Key Switch

I have a second part to my question (imagine that ). I also have a 36V charge meter I'd like to install on the dash. It is pretty simple. I just need to connect it to the battery pack and it lights up.

Wondering if there is a way to tie this into the key switch, as well? I don't want it to be on all the time.

Oh, and my cart is a 2000 TXT Series, 36V.

Thanks,

Drew
Old 03-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This wiring is the same for any 2 wire meter connection.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Digital Voltmeter connections 003.jpg (40.6 KB, 304 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
smuponies
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, Scotty. I tried to give you a break. :-)

So, for the battery meter, that says to me I can just place that in series on the green wire coming from the key switch. Cut the Gree wire, run it into the battery meter and then connect to the green wire that travels back to the f&r switch area.

How about on my three position switch. Any idea where the blue, green, and B+ connection from the voltage reducer go? I, L, B1, B?

Appreciate the help!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Use your meter to check it out. Pull the switch out and with the key off there is only one Positive, that's pos power in. Turn the key to run and the new positive to heat up is the carts 'ignition' and where you want your meter positive to connect. Now run the meter negative to the pack and your meter comes on and off with the key
Old 03-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
smuponies
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, that make sense. I think I can work through the battery charge meter now. I appreciate the help.

As far as my initial question goes, any ideas on that? In the diagram I attached at the top of this thread, what wires to I connect to the L and B1 terminals on the 3 way switch?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'll go out with a Voltmeter and test one.....the terminal markings are not on the wiring diagram... so maybe I can diagram the switch because this question does come up again & again....
Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Ezgo 3 position Key switch.
Terminals are marked
B1 = Battery 12v+
L = Lights
I = Ignition
B = Battery 36v +
1st key position is off = no continuity anywhere.
Position 2 is B>I
Position 3 is B>I and B1>L
Old 03-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
smuponies
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, B1 is Battery 12V. Got it. Right now (according to the diagram attached at the top of the thread) I have Battery 12V from the voltage reducer going to the fuse block. Are you saying I need to run Battery 12V from the voltage reducer to B1 on the switch and then L on the switch to the fuse block?

That make sense to me, I just want to be sure.

2nd Question: My existing ignition wires, blue and green, plug into I and B, respectively and the cart runs fine. Do I leave those as is? I'm still a little confused what plugs into the voltage reducer B+ terminal. According to the diagram, it looks like that plugs into the key switch, but I can't tell if I should be using that to plug into I instead of the old blue ignition wire.

Thanks again for the help and time! Couldn't do it without your help!

Drew
Old 03-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuponies View Post
OK, B1 is Battery 12V. Got it. Right now (according to the diagram attached at the top of the thread) I have Battery 12V from the voltage reducer going to the fuse block. Are you saying I need to run Battery 12V from the voltage reducer to B1 on the switch and then L on the switch to the fuse block?

That make sense to me, I just want to be sure. Rest assured that is what I said.

2nd Question: My existing ignition wires, blue and green, plug into I and B, respectively and the cart runs fine. Do I leave those as is? Yes leave the blue goes to B and the green goes to I I'm still a little confused what plugs into the voltage reducer B+ terminal. According to the diagram, it looks like that plugs into the key switch, but I can't tell if I should be using that to plug into I instead of the old blue ignition wire.
The 12v feed for B1 comes from the fuse panel out of the 12v reducer positive.

Thanks again for the help and time! Couldn't do it without your help!

Drew
Remember there is more than one way to wire any circuit. Concentrate on learning to understand how electricity works, and what makes a complete circuit, what constitutes a short. Recognize you have 2 separate systems on your cart, 36v and 12v. These are the things which will make building and troubleshooting electric circuits easier for you. Each circuit has a positive and a negative, use any device to interrupt either of these and you have a switch... Google how DC electricity works or http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/dc.htm and read whatever you find, it helps. Scotty.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO