lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Default 3 Position Key Switch

Any reason to not replace (would not work for some reason) the stock key switch with an aftermarket 3 positions switch in my G29 Drive? I put in turn signals and want to power them off the switch.
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 3 Position Key Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
Any reason to not replace (would not work for some reason) the stock key switch with an aftermarket 3 positions switch in my G29 Drive? I put in turn signals and want to power them off the switch.
The problem I see is the voltage would be 48 volts at the key switch.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
The problem I see is the voltage would be 48 volts at the key switch.
Yes. This is the issue I have today with the on/off switch. The three way switch would have to have two independent circuits. This looks like such a switch. http://www.3rsalesandservice.com/cat...rvice/2670.htm
Old 10-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

I have been doing some research on this same issue, as I am installing a 3 position switch on a CC with 72 volts. I am confident the switch isn't rated to handle that many volts..............so I am looking into a contactor solenoid to handle the volts and keep them from the key switch directly.

My only question now is, what power source do I use for the key switch??? Perhaps a jump off of a single battery or an alternative power source?

Not Sure.

OT
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe View Post
Yes. This is the issue I have today with the on/off switch. The three way switch would have to have two independent circuits. This looks like such a switch. http://www.3rsalesandservice.com/cat...rvice/2670.htm
Alot of smarter members here then me, but that key switch would not "drop" voltage for the third (lite) postition that I can see. good luck on your qwest.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Found this literature: http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/catalo...heParentId=815

Looks like it will work. It has two independant circuits. I would wire the existing on/off to one side, and the lights with 12V to the other side.

OT, My cart does not run 48v through that switch. It runs of a solenoid. You can hear it click when you turn the switch on. Pretty sure that is how they are all wired but could be wrong.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

OT, My cart does not run 48v through that switch. It runs of a solenoid. You can hear it click when you turn the switch on. Pretty sure that is how they are all wired but could be wrong.[/quote]

Thanks rlowe.............building from scratch...........so I am having to learn some of this the hard way! But my thoughts are confirmed.

OT
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Yes the G29 (the drive) key switch voltage is 48 volts.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You guys need to listen to what Smallblock tells you about Yamaha .... there aren't any techs around here who know more about Yamaha than he does. I think that key is turning the solenoid ON, that's why you hear it click when you turn the key on...just a guess. Anyway as far as a 2 circuit key switch is concerned look to an ezgo TXT switch it has 3 positions and 2 circuits (4 posts) hope this helps .
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Sorry guy's. Take Scotty's advice. I had no idea the Ezgo 3 position switch had 2 circuits. I do learn something new everday and today it was humility. I'll be better for this.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha