lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
motormouth27
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Tach

I have a 2007 ez go st 2+2 and I was wondering if there is a way to mount a tach on it? I have a 3 in tach. The real question is what do you have it hooked up to so that it will read?

Thanks Steve
motormouth27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Tach

Some tachs will work, some won't. The pickup is usually a coil wire or it wraps around a plug wire. The problem most have is the programming for the twin. The Ezgo sparks in both cylinders at TDC regardless of cam position. So, A tach for a V8 counts 8 sparks per engine revolution and divides that by eight for one rpm.
If your tach is made for twins it may work. With the dead spark, you may have to program it for a four cylinder. Well, the twin setting should work.
Mine was a little different as far as the pickup. It is in the aftermarket ignition.
Most tachs used 3 elecrial wires. Black is usually ground, white is for the back light. That goes to youor light switch or wrap it. The red goes to the battery or a switched circuit`Then your pickup goes where the instructions say. Eith coil or spark plug.
If this doesn't help, let us know.``
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The Equus 8068 was the tach I used. That tack can be calibrated to be set to 2 cylinders. I had the black, red, and white wires on it. I also had the inductive pickup on it which I cut!!! Don't do that! Luckily it came with a green wire that will plug into the same spot on the tach where the inductive will plug in. I just ran the green wire to the + side of my coil and seems to be working great!
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
motormouth27
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you have a picture on what you have it reading off of? How long did it take to wire it up? Does auto meter sell the tach that I need?
THANKS
motormouth27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormouth27 View Post
Do you have a picture on what you have it reading off of? How long did it take to wire it up? Does auto meter sell the tach that I need?
THANKS
I got mine off of E-bay. I think I paid around $85 or so for it. I will get you a pic later today.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
fastfred
Gone but not forgotten
E-Z-GO

Yes, Autometer #6650 is a Sport Comp Junior tach made for junior dragsters. It will work just fine on an EZ-GO 2cyl (thats what I have on mine). The 6650 is 3 1/2 inches in dia. I believe a 6651 or 6652 is a 2 inch dia. version of the same thing.

Fred
fastfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
Yes, Autometer #6650 is a Sport Comp Junior tach made for junior dragsters. It will work just fine on an EZ-GO 2cyl (thats what I have on mine). The 6650 is 3 1/2 inches in dia. I believe a 6651 or 6652 is a 2 inch dia. version of the same thing.

Fred
How's it been Fast Fred?? When the weather breaks I will be giving you a call!!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
fastfred
Gone but not forgotten
E-Z-GO

Been just fine,thanks. Don't miss that white stuff a bit. Been nice and sunny, about mid 70's here in AZ.

Fred
fastfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I finish with the golf bussiness, I'm moving to AZ or somewhere warm. It's 24 and I work outside today. It is supposed to warm to 60 blazing hot degrees!
Good to see you here Fred.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO