lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2019, 10:36 PM   #21
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: 2005 MCI 'spitting' after lift kit even with rebuilt engine

Oh we got it adjusted so the little microswitch clicks well before any carb movement happens. Once, we had it set where you had to be halfway to the floor before the carb butterfly opened. Worked great, but made it only go 10 MPH and customer not happy.

We just got the fourth engine installed and it is still not good enough for the customer. He might well have to live with the limitation. I still say he needs a side-by-side from such expectations.

We can get the entire spring assembly with bushing and all but it's like $450.

We did try another ignitor from another MCI we had in our sale lot, but no difference. It's not the ignitor either. Not the coil, carb, pulsar, or ignitor. I doubt it's the cable either. I still say the lift and his high speed demand has a lot to do with it. I've NEVER had an MCI run correctly with a lift. Something about how it has to run faster to get the same speed confuses the entire ignition system used on them. Once, I had a Subaru XT6 (was my first car) that started having issues idling without stalling at traffic lights (the check engine light came on) so I tried to set the idle to 900 from the factory 350 which solved the stalling, but then the transmission computer got confused and had massive issues downshifting (it was expecting 350 idle rpm to downshift back to 1st; at 900 it kept thinking it should be in third, but since the car wasn't moving the computer started 'hunting' randomly shifting gears until it defaulted to limp mode, where it only shifted up at 4500 rpm, and downshifted the same. made for hellish driving) I know an EZGO isn't as sophisticated as my Subaru, but I still say the MCI system doesn't like any real diversions from factory settings.

Even with his little cable tie cut off the governor spring, the car acts like the governor is missing completely. If you had the thing set to 14 MPH on level ground, try going downhill wide open the car will go well past 20 MPH and not try to slow down. There appears to be no governor action at all. there's also no smooth transition between full throttle and half or 1/3. It's a sudden jerking change. If we and the customer weren't so in deep with the time, money and parts, I'd tear the rear end down and see if the governor gear is MIA completely or has sheared off some teeth.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #22
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Well here's an update on the spitting cart.

We went through four engines, four carburetors (two were OEM, too) and we eventually got a $25 'Oakey' brand cheap POS carburetor from Amazon, and now it runs perfectly. Fifth carburetor and cheap and garbage looking finally fixes the blasted thing!
Old 10-31-2019, 06:48 PM   #23
4mula1fan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
We get a lot of that with folks in Kentucky where we are located, especially with any who use garbage Rural King batteries because they're cheap on their electric car
Hmmm. Us unejumacated Kentucky clod kickers are a real PITA. Like Hard heads don't live everywhere. I have a diploma, shoes and all my teeth, and I didn't marry my cousin.
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #24
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Just going to throw in a thought here.

The statement "all lifted MCI carts sputter" or something to that effect. Well. lets see what the common issue is here. You lift the cart, then the engine leans back more than designed to. This affects the level of fuel in the float bowl. You can see how this would affect the supply of fuel to the engine ?.

When you lift an ezgo with a Robin engine, you should do one of at least two things. Either lower the front mount so the engine levels out or adjust the float in the carb to give a good amount of fuel in the bowl. Think of it like this. If you tip the carb one way the float valve will close too early giving a low fuel volume and if you tip it the other way it will shut off too late giving too high a level of fuel in the bowl. Both of these scenarios will give issues.
All the TXT carts i have lifted, both pre and MCI had the front mounts lowered to level the engine and i never had an issue with poor running or sputtering on take off.

To test this theory, you can refit one of the oem carbs that sputtered and jack the rear of the cart on stands so the engine is once again sitting level and test it. My bet is that it would run fine!

Maybe the cheap nasty carb you finally fitted has a different float/bowl design and therefore works at the angle it is sitting.

Just food for thought next time you see this issue. Lowering the front mount also solves the engine oil level for the dipstick too. All it takes is a steel plate with four holes drilled in it to lower the front mount the same amount of inches as the lift fitted.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The governor was either deleted or bypassed as well (it will still overspeed downhill--we cautioned the owner on that, we really wanted it turned down but he insisted on it going as fast as 20-25 MPH without high speed gears. We said not to come back for repair again if he blows it again)

The car isn't backfiring anymore, and it's gone now. But from the deleted governor plus the owner insisting it's a race car, no doubt it will break another rod or run the rings out of it again. It originally came in with one snapped rod and only ran on the good cylinder. Owner then was complaining about 'lacking power'.

I'm not kidding about my experiences with rural types in Owensboro, KY. Here's a couple of the 'winners':

1. A lifted gas twin TXT (yes, it spits, no, its owner doesn't care) with dual subwoofers, crossover, amp, four speakers, and a 500 MFD Capacitor right behind the driver's seat. I won't even test drive it. If that capacitor were to explode for any reason, the shrapnel would likely cause fatal injury.

2. Another lifted but pre-MCI TXT with a single subwoofer, also a crossover and amp. What I never can understand is why someone would spend more money on audio equipment than the golf car it's installed on, other than to boast ego or compensate for some kind of inadequacy or something. Such things sure look (and sound) utterly ridiculous to me.

The rest are usually ancient relics driven into the ground, rolled over, rammed into trees (not sure if drunk or stupid, but boy we sell tons of front axles) and look as bad as they sound. The only good thing is that they're super easy to fix. They are often resistor powered and the worst thing going bad besides a set of batteries is a resistor coil or a stuck solenoid or melted F/R board. No multimeter needed and no electronics degree necessary. I actually miss these myself. Sure they weren't efficient, and they weren't fast, but they turn around quickly in repairs and make the cheap folks happy. Try to lay out the bill for the poor sap who didn't put their RXV in tow, and ruined not just the brake, but the controller, motor, etc and they about stroke out. They blame us for jacking up prices as if inflation never existed! Not to mention the price of an old resistor is a far cry from a drive-by-wire system like an RXV uses. I fear what the future has in store and before long, I might have to rely on Sam's Photofacts for schematics.

I just have a serious intolerance for stupid. Never claimed any board members here were in that group.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #26
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Never claimed any board members here were in that group.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm the president. And proud of it!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:44 AM   #27
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Well here's an update on the spitting cart.

We went through four engines, four carburetors (two were OEM, too) and we eventually got a $25 'Oakey' brand cheap POS carburetor from Amazon, and now it runs perfectly. Fifth carburetor and cheap and garbage looking finally fixes the blasted thing!
I for one find that hard to believe. Your statement goes against everything I try and tell people and I have been at this for many many years. Stay far away from those aftermarket carburetors but hey what do I know.

I own a 2004 Ezgo workhorse with a 6 inch lift. New OEM carb and it runs like new. Takes the gas perfect and never a sputter. The engine is tilted pretty good also .

The part you said was not available from dealer in post 15 that I showed you is indeed available unless they stopped selling them in the last few days. Not sure where you get your parts.

You said you have a serious intolerance for stupid. Maybe you should have used the word ignorant.

Neither of these words is a very nice thing to say to someone. If you must use them, however, remember to choose ignorant for someone who simply lacks knowledge.
Stupid refers to someone who lacks brainpower.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO