lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #1
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Installing An Alternator On A VC460

I'm installing a Genuine Honda 18 amp alternator on my engine. Coil - bolts - wire clip are all American Honda, A little more expensive then china parts but had them in 3-4 days over 27 days. LOL Here's a couple of pictures of what I'm doing. Still missing 2 bolts -- considering using allen bolts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G2 Mini Truck 021.jpg (221.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G2 Mini Truck 023.jpg (229.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G2 Mini Truck 025.jpg (224.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg G2 Mini Truck 027.jpg (230.6 KB, 0 views)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Installing An Alternator On A VC460

I was told the real honda parts were about the same cost as a new VC460.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I was told the real honda parts were about the same cost as a new VC460.
You can buy almost any part possible for a clone off the internet but there are a few parts like the alternator that you can only get from Honda. I was going to build a hot rod engine for my cart till you guys introduced me to all the after market parts suppliers. Vegas Carts produced exactly what I would have built and did it cheaper then I could have. I need to add a few items yet to get it where I want -- will update as my parts arrive.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Got the alternator all buttoned up. All the sheet metal is back in place. Found a place where I can get the 2 other pieces of the air shroud. - will definitely help cool the head better. I'm working to install a dipstick. I'll post some pictures when its complete.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-STAINLES...7E1Cvw&vxp=mtr
Old 06-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The honda you had to buy the stator, different flywheel, and the VR for the higher power system that was 18-20A whatever it was. They had a 3A and that and also one between them. So honda had three flywheels and three stators.

VC tried to get the 18A system from lifan and could not. We all hope some day it will be available or found someplace. There is a lot of stuff out there for them, this charging thing seems to be one of the few issues with parts. It would be great if you figure it out! I was told you can add another 3A coil to a stock 3A one, for 6A which is still weak. I even found the new HF 22hp clone does not have a 20A system on it, but its more than 3A. They say most third world places that use these engines don't need charging so they make most of them without it.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Here are 3 links one for the 18 amp coil and one for a parts schematic. These are real Honda parts and there much more expensive then the generic coils VC sells or Ebay. There are several types of flywheels. The one that comes with the VC460 only has 2 magnets and will produce about 9 amps -- I will be upgrading to the 4 magnet flywheel in the future. Some might say why... I want a super clean setup. It takes about 2.5 hp to turn the starter generator and the extra parts clutter up the engine bay. It cost almost the same to go this route then if you replace the s/g new.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ho...0-ZE2-W01.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ho...0-ZE3-W21.html

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ho...(3)/parts.html
Old 06-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #7
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I don't like to talk about what I want to do. Dreamers dream. I'm a do'er. I talk about what I've done. Most of the time I keep my plans to myself because there either expensive or "out there". All the work I'm doing is leading up to the ultimate Power House Engine. One that doesn't struggle to idle but winds up making more power the harder it winds. Think Supercharger. They have people putting turbos on little engines -- why not go the other way?

http://www.elsberg-tuning.dk/supercharging.html#smog
Old 06-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Does that coil have the rev limiter that honda uses a lot ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

We are all just trying to make our carts better here and appreciate any info that helps! Wow that page is huge on supercharging, lot of interesting stuff there. Yes I'd love to tinker with a setup like that but no time these days for long projects. I can't even get my new carb on my clone, I made a custom intake of sorts to mount it above the engine. But I have to pull the whole thing apart to do it and don't want the cart down for a long time. Now busy at work, have to work weekends, not much fun.

Anyways, thank you for the links that would be a fun project. We had a guy on here trying to do efi on a small engine, but he left one day I don't know what happened. He eventually was going to make it retard timing and enrich fuel for boost conditions, which would really help a boosted engine work better off boost.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Does that coil have the rev limiter that honda uses a lot ?
This is a charging coil -- not an ignition coil.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps