lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
Warden902
Getting Wild

Default Toyota Prius

Why are people not using Toyota Prius batteries to make a battery pack? There sure are a lot of them for sale.
Warden902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Toyota Prius

Most Prius (except the new ones) uses a Nimh battery, not lithium. Much like your crusty old makita from 20 years ago
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
Warden902
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Most Prius (except the new ones) uses a Nimh battery, not lithium. Much like your crusty old makita from 20 years ago
Thanks for the reply. I have seen a couple listed as lithium. I would say the sellers don't even know.
Warden902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I saw Prius cells that were Nimh online, but I read an article from Toyota that stated they were using both lithium and Nimh. I don't know what cars used what, but they said this way if there was a disruption in the supply line of one or the other they could rapidly switch to the other chemistry. So maybe you did see some Prius lithium cells? I just know that last time I was looking the Prius cells I found were all nimh. $0.02
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

In 2016 they switched to lithium. Pre 2016 was all nimh.

I don’t know anything about the lithium cells they are using now, what the voltages of the cells or modules are, specs of them, etc. I haven’t dealt with Prius in a few years. But remember Prius is a hybrid so likely the capacity of the cells is lower, because it still has a gas engine. It’s not a fully electric car meant to go a few hundred miles like a leaf or Chevy volt.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:04 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Don't know about newer Prius but the older ones had a fairly small NiMh battery that could only go about 2 miles electric only.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
Briboy
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

My limited understanding of the "Hybrid" cars.
The battery drive kicks in to get the car off the line where the most demand is (where the engine burns the most fuel)
Then once the car is moving the gas engine takes over and powers the car and recharges the battery bank.
So it makes sense that the batteries are smaller since the demand intermittent.
My friend had one of the early Hybrid Prius, I would ask about his milage and he never paid it any mind... After he had the car for about 12 years with a lengthy commute daily, I looked at the odo one day and he had over 380,000 miles on it with relatively low maintenance. I was very impressed.
Would not buy one personally due to what I need out of a vehicle. But if I found myself back in a position of being a "Road technician" and traveling... That would change my mind pretty quick. Back in the late 90s early 2000s I was a road tech and my territory was the entire state of PA... There were weeks my Milage checks equaled or exceeded my actual pay check. for many years I drove a 98 Honda Civic Wagon. Loved that car. Put well over 200,000 on that car. It rotted out from under me.
Briboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:09 AM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briboy View Post
My limited understanding of the "Hybrid" cars.
The battery drive kicks in to get the car off the line where the most demand is (where the engine burns the most fuel)
Then once the car is moving the gas engine takes over and powers the car and recharges the battery bank.
So it makes sense that the batteries are smaller since the demand intermittent.
My friend had one of the early Hybrid Prius, I would ask about his milage and he never paid it any mind... After he had the car for about 12 years with a lengthy commute daily, I looked at the odo one day and he had over 380,000 miles on it with relatively low maintenance. I was very impressed.
Would not buy one personally due to what I need out of a vehicle. But if I found myself back in a position of being a "Road technician" and traveling... That would change my mind pretty quick. Back in the late 90s early 2000s I was a road tech and my territory was the entire state of PA... There were weeks my Milage checks equaled or exceeded my actual pay check. for many years I drove a 98 Honda Civic Wagon. Loved that car. Put well over 200,000 on that car. It rotted out from under me.
My grey 2003 Prius has over 300K miles on it and still going strong with the original battery. Have 2 spares from a couple of low mileage wrecked Prius of that era, just in case. I have a blue 2003 that was my wifes, been parked in the garage many years before she passed away. Have been waiting for the grey one to need major repairs before switching to hers.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO