lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Skynet
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Tire Chains

Good day. I have a 93 CC DS all stock, that I would like to put some tire chains on for use on hard packed snow. I do not wish to add machine screws or the like. Just a simple set of chains I can put on in the fall and take off in the spring.
I would appreciate if anyone could let me know of a good place to purchase them?
Thanks for now.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Tire Chains

I would also be interested as well. Happy thanksgiving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your local small engine or lawn and garden dealer should be able to fix you up. May even have a used/new set in stock!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:39 AM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

The chains that I have are from a lawn and garden tractor. They are fairly light duty but good enough for what I need. As DundeeBarnBuggy suggests, your local small tractor dealer should be able to find you some or have a look on your local buy and sell site ... people are always selling chains around here ... but this is Canada, so that make sense

You will need to ensure that you have enough clearance for chains or will need wheel spacers to create additional clearance.

I was lucky enough that my wheels are slightly offset (hub is not exactly centered), so if i reverse my wheels (with the valve stem pointing in), I can create enough clearance for the chains (I need about 1" extra). My wheels holes happen to be tapered on both sides (like tractor wheels), so that comes in handy too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5421.jpg (477.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8106.jpg (389.7 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:55 PM   #5
Skynet
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

^^^
That looks great. Thanks for the pictures. A set up like that is exactly what I need. For sure. I will check with my local lawn mower place.
I appreciate the info about the off-set too.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:26 PM   #6
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I had a quick look on Amazon.ca for lawn mower chains. See the picture attached below which shows a pretty common chain setup. The only problem that I see with this is the cross chain spacing is pretty wide, every 4th link on the side chains. I prefer more chain on the ground for better traction ... you will see that the spacing on the cross chains that I am using is every 2nd link.

Either can work ... but tighter cross chain spacing will give you better traction with less wheel slippage and as a result, easier on your cart..

Check out Kijiji in your area ... there is a pretty good chance might find some good used ones. Suggest you bring a tire with you to test fit them if you are uncertain as they do have to fit properly. They are pretty easy to shorten the length and a little more work to shorten the width, but making them wider or longer may not be worth the effort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wide Spaced Chain Example.JPG (58.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tire Chain Example.JPG (43.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #7
Skynet
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks again ThreeCW. I really like the every two link setup you are running.
I have a spare tire I'm gonna bring home from the trailer so I can bring it around with me as I shop for chains.
Funny how the advice I'm getting on this thread is mostly coming from Canada.
Holy stigma. Pretty sure they get snow south of the 49th parallel.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

When I purchased chains for my EZ-GO I went to this on-line store. They have many options to choose from. For the rear I purchased the chains with the "V-Bar". These are like spikes in the snow\ice. The "bad" part is don't drive 'em on concrete or asphalt that you don't want small chip marks on. The spikes treat all surfaces the same. For the rear I also purchased the ones with more cross-links. https://www.tirechainsonline.com/23x...ains-s/165.htm
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I run V-Bar Chains on my skid steer where I really need the traction for pushing snow. I found plain chains with cross chains every second link give sufficient traction for driving my Cushman cart in the winter up hills, through pastures and on ice.

I agree with DaveTM that V-Bar chains do not get along well with concrete or asphalt
Old 12-08-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
Skynet
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
When I purchased chains for my EZ-GO I went to this on-line store. They have many options to choose from. For the rear I purchased the chains with the "V-Bar". These are like spikes in the snow\ice. The "bad" part is don't drive 'em on concrete or asphalt that you don't want small chip marks on. The spikes treat all surfaces the same. For the rear I also purchased the ones with more cross-links. https://www.tirechainsonline.com/23x...ains-s/165.htm
Thank you DaveTM. That store has a nice selection of chains. I'm pretty sure I can find a good match for a stock CC wheel in their lawn tractor section. I appreciate the lead.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car