lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
Do_I_work_here
Not Yet Wild

Post 1989 EZ-GO Marathon Batteries 36V Batteries not holding charge?

Hey guys, new here. Can't find anything online so maybe you experts will be able to point me in the right direction.

First of all, this is my first golf cart, It's a project cart and started with basically a body and frame. So I purchased "Refurbished" batteries from a local store with a 6 month warranty. When I installed them the cart ran around the yard and thru the neighborhood great! No issues, lasted a few hours until I got bored running around with a naked golf cart. Put it on the charger (Non-Automatic, the timer kind) put it on a few hours and left it. Bout 3 days later, dead nothing. So I charged it for 6 hours, ran around fine then died bout 20 minutes later. I realized I have to charge it for around 12 or more hours.

My first question is, Does the batteries drain all the time, even if it isnt running? Ill check the battery meter I installed and It'll show full for 2 days than mid-way by the 3rd day. Second question, when I run the cart, its good for about 20 minutes the most, than it dies. Could it be the batteries? Could it be the charger? Should I get one of those automatic chargers? Mind you the batteries ran great the first time I installed them.

I'm coming up on the completion of my golf cart, making it street legal right now. I want to hit the town once its completed. I rather not have it die on me mid town!

Thanks for the help!
Do_I_work_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 EZ-GO Marathon Batteries 36V Batteries not holding charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do_I_work_here View Post
Hey guys, new here. Can't find anything online so maybe you experts will be able to point me in the right direction.

First of all, this is my first golf cart, It's a project cart and started with basically a body and frame. So I purchased "Refurbished" batteries from a local store with a 6 month warranty. When I installed them the cart ran around the yard and thru the neighborhood great! No issues, lasted a few hours until I got bored running around with a naked golf cart. Put it on the charger (Non-Automatic, the timer kind) put it on a few hours and left it. Bout 3 days later, dead nothing. So I charged it for 6 hours, ran around fine then died bout 20 minutes later. I realized I have to charge it for around 12 or more hours.

My first question is, Does the batteries drain all the time, even if it isnt running? Ill check the battery meter I installed and It'll show full for 2 days than mid-way by the 3rd day. Second question, when I run the cart, its good for about 20 minutes the most, than it dies. Could it be the batteries? Could it be the charger? Should I get one of those automatic chargers? Mind you the batteries ran great the first time I installed them.

I'm coming up on the completion of my golf cart, making it street legal right now. I want to hit the town once its completed. I rather not have it die on me mid town!

Thanks for the help!
Don't post much (anymore) but saw no one answered you so....

Lots to unpack here.....

First, load test your batteries.

Second, monitor pack and individual battery voltages during charge cycle and again 12hrs or so after charge cycle ends. Beau coup posts on this site about battery care and maintenance. Do a search.

Opinion: Assuming FLA batteries, I don't know what "refurbished" means. I could say what I think it is but you would not like it. Let's just say FLA batteries have a life span in charge cycles based on depth of discharge and I am unaware of any technology that changes that.

Good luck.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
SC_BAX
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 EZ-GO Marathon Batteries 36V Batteries not holding charge?

Measure the pack voltage with a DVM should read 38.2 Volts after the charge cycle ends. Take this measure after 12 Hrs. That's for NEW batteries. Not sure about REfurbs.
Use this cart to see how your batteries compare.
What brand charger? Type of cart?
Welcome to the forums!

Bax

Last edited by SC_BAX; 09-14-2018 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: add welcome
SC_BAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO