lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
redm18
Not Yet Wild

Default Any idea why my cart eats hei modules?

Can anyone help me figure out why my cart keeps burning up hei modules? I have destroyed like 6 of them now in the process of getting my cart road worthy I have probably only put 2 miles total on it. Same thing keeps happening they run for a bit then just stop. Have it mounted on an old cpu heat sink with the compound that comes in the box. Have a wire going from ground on the module to the ground strap. Have replaced the coil.
redm18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Any idea why my cart eats hei modules?

Here are the 2 wiring schematics I have. Do not have the key on - not running 3-4 minutes as this will burn the unit out.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Hei.gif (13.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: gif Hei 2.gif (33.0 KB, 0 views)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
redm18
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Here are the 2 wiring schematics I have. Do not have the key on - not running 3-4 minutes as this will burn the unit out.
? Not quite sure what you are saying here?
Old 06-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Don't leave the key on if it isn't running. It could burn up the module.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
redm18
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy Re: Any idea why my cart eats hei modules?

So I went to a different OReilly and got a guy to test a module I thought was bad. His test said good. What has been happening is I put a new module in and typically it will run okay for a bit maybe a few minutes maybe a few days but I am sure I have never gotten an hour or so of run time on one. It will sometimes then run for a bit with a miss then will stop running. With my spark checker I will get one or two sparks when I press the pedal then usually a couple when I let off the pedal. I just replaced the original voltage regulator thinking maybe it intermittently not working right however I don't have the module connected to it but instead to the ground strap.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I see that this is on your 89 3pg 2 stroke.

Leaving the key on will not hurt a thing. There are 2 more switches hooked in series with the key switch. All three have to make contact to power everything.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

You most likely have a bad wire or a loose or corroded connection.
It will run til bad wire/connection heats up causing too much resistance.
At that point you lose voltage.
Look hard at wires and connections.
There's not many wires, I usually rewire, it's easier than trying to trace the problem most of the time.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
redm18
Not Yet Wild

Sorry to add more color this is an 87 with the 2pg.i bought the cart as non running with little wiring in place. I made new wires for everything except for the heavy gauge wires which did come with the cart) except the battery wires. I tried another new module this morning hooked it up put tested it with the inline spark checker and it lit up. Hooked up to the spark plug and nothing. Hooked back up to the spark checker again and nothing now.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I have reviewed your original thread.
I have a few thoughts on this. You did a complete rebuild. That's good.

The first thing to determine is if it is really burning up modules. The parts store seems to think it isn't.

If it isn't burning up modules, I would check to see if the lower diaphragm in the fuel pump is ripped. That would foul out the plug, and make you think it has an ignition problem.

What plug are you using? What is the gap? I like .030"

If it really is burning up modules, it could be caused by excessive heat build up through high resistance on your connections.

The other cause is that it could be wired wrong. Your 87 2pg, and the 89 3pg use the same wiring diagram, so let's review how it's wired. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...n-retrofit.jpg

Terminal C connects to the negative side of the coil. Terminal B connects to the positive side of the solenoid. (small terminal)
A mounting screw runs a wire to ground. The diagram shows it going to the voltage regulator, but it can connect to any ground.

W, and G go to the red, and blue pulsar wires. They are not absolute. Orientation is determined on every cart by which way runs better.

Double check that wiring, and let us know what you find.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #10
redm18
Not Yet Wild

So I have two modules 1 brand new but untested from advance auto that I tried earlier this morning no spark and one from O'Reilly that was tested good but had stopped working on the cart. I just put the O'Reilly back on and it ran good just drove the cart maybe a mile. Spark plug nkg bp4hs gapped at . 4 seems clean. Checked against your wiring instructions every thing seemed correct. Took the fuel pump apart when I rebuilt the engine. The diaphragms looked good and I have checked the pump before ran the cart with the fuel line from the pump to the carb into a Mason jar got about half a pint or so in 30 seconds. Might replace when I have a few extra dollars laying around. At this point we will see how long it runs for.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO