lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
alfonzz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 97 ezgo txt duromax or predator?

Hello i am very i mean very new to this and i have been following a few threads but my question is this, which engine should i install? predator 14hp or the Duromax 16 or even 18 hp? how difficult is it to swap? any pics out there of one of these swaps? what kind of adapter will i need? where to get it from and what mount for engine and where to get it from? also does it need to have the electric start or no? please help my 295cc is almost giving out and i dont want to rebuild i want a bit more kick, thanks

also do the heavy duty springs for both clutches work?> do they make a difference?
alfonzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: 97 ezgo txt duromax or predator?

Most of the 420cc clones are the same power around 15hp, the 440 not much different. The 460 Vegas engine has lot different parts in it and larger cam so it does make more power than other clones. If you get a clone with the hemi head they have less stuff available for them performance wise, there is a ton of parts for clones otherwise. You can go to a twin the predator or a vanguard, the predator you can't get rev kit for yet far as I know the vanny you can get stuff, but they take a larger budget unless you go used. Rev kits get your top speed higher because it can rev out without breaking stuff. Anyway just a stock 420 is like twice the power of a tired stock engine, but they don't really go any faster because they run the same rpm. The Vegas vc460 will rev higher, or engine you put a rev kit in. Vegas has a lot of engine mounts and other parts available, and whole kits to swap engines, so check out that stuff at their site. Its a project to swap one but much easier now with kits and mounts. The exhaust may be the worse part especially if you want it quiet that is harder to get right. Clones are nice because they are cheap, plus you end up with a whole new engine.

Clutch springs help sure, but you may not need them with a big block swap it depends.

What clone you get depends on your budget and needs. The cheapest seem to be the powerland on ebay, the HF engines next, the lifan at home depot, the carol stream are in there, the VC460 is near double but has billet rod and many other performance parts, its faster and heavy duty. If you want the power and speed its a great deal. You can get a HF predator v twin for about the same as the VC460 its a 22hp twin, but it wont rev that much until there is a rev kit for it, so not a ton of people doing those yet. Above that are vanny and kohlers and such. Few use a honda you can't do anything with them. Some have used subaru twins sometimes are on sale and if you don't care about going fast at high rpm they work fine, but the HF preditor is likely the cheapest twin.

My lifan 420 was on sale for 264, I ended up with maybe 600 into it in parts like custom header and new SS car muffler, ported and cut head, 1.3 ratio rockers, stuff like that. The first clone I did I made everything for it, all I had was the engine and $50 clutch adapter, and say $50 in pvc fittings and other odd parts or the $10 muffler and airbox from the boneyard I used. But it would be a lot easier to buy a mount, it costs, but is much faster to install.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
alfonzz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

so i should just go straight to vegas carts and not deal with the hassle? do their engines the clones last long?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

As with any engine - if you break it in per dealer recommendations The VXR460 will last as long as you change the oil regularly and don't rev it any more then 6000 rpm. There are gearheads here that have untold amounts of hours on there's. I've broke mine in and haven't reached my 25 hour oil change yet. I'm at about 18 hours on my first 460.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #5
alfonzz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sweet then vegas cart it is thank you all
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It has a lot of good stuff in it, its twice as much but you get a lot for it. If you are looking for a little more its the clone to get. It has a heavier block and a billet rod, you will have to try to screw it up. Certainly you should keep a lid on rpm until you get a tank or two of fuel through it, don't scream it. They will get some rpm much more than other stock clones.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
mrbeggs
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonzz View Post
Hello i am very i mean very new to this and i have been following a few threads but my question is this, which engine should i install? predator 14hp or the Duromax 16 or even 18 hp? how difficult is it to swap? any pics out there of one of these swaps? what kind of adapter will i need? where to get it from and what mount for engine and where to get it from? also does it need to have the electric start or no? please help my 295cc is almost giving out and i dont want to rebuild i want a bit more kick, thanks

also do the heavy duty springs for both clutches work?> do they make a difference?
I chose the duromax 18hp for my 1989 Ez go...Decent motor as is the Predator
the few issues I ran into was finding performance parts for it...I used some from 390 clone....still have a lil carb issues until I change jet but Im sure it would be the same for any motor upgrades...The only thing I regret is NOT having reverse !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golf cart.jpg (160.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg side engine cart.jpg (41.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg rear cart.jpg (55.0 KB, 0 views)
mrbeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
coachgkj
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeggs View Post
...The only thing I regret is NOT having reverse !!
How do you lose reverse? Can somebody explain?
coachgkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
Skoal82
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

He swapped the engine into a ezgo marathon that was originally a 2-stroke engine cart.
The original engine would run forwards or backwards for direction changes. The newer 4-stroke engine will only run 1 direction.
Skoal82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You have to put an axle or axle/cradle from a 4 stroke in the old 2 stroke carts, or you have no reverse gear with a 4 stroke swap.

Most all the gx390 performance parts work on the 390/420/440/460 clones other than change in piston/bore/crank throw/rod length. The only different one is the predator HEMI, the head is all different you have to look that up to see what mods you can do. The clones have a honda looking hexagon like shaped valve cover, the hemi its a square/rectangle shape and larger.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps