lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Want 7 more Leaf Modules...knew this would happen

Ok, I've upgraded to a 7 module Leaf battery set with 2012 year Leaf batteries.

For some reason......I knew I was gonna cave to this. I want to add another 7 modules so I can increase my amp\hr. I understand the "how to" do the connections......but how will adding another 7 modules perform when added to my existing 7 modules?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Want 7 more Leaf Modules...knew this would happen

As you know, I know NOTHING about lithium, however in general, you should double your range, reduce SOC drop for a given run, reduce voltage drop under load = maybe increased speed under load, and maybe increase available amperage = torque.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

My only concern is by "mixing" batteries from different vehicles, is that or would that create any issues with the batteries?
Old 02-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you put the second set in parallel with the first set you will be fine even if they are different ages. Get them to the same voltage before connecting them though.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am assuming you mean you will disassemble your existing pack and build another one using new bus-bars with 2 modules in parallel for a 7S2P right?

If so just keep the modules from the existing pack together and the ones from the new pack together.

You will end-up with an odd pair that contains one module from each set, put that module on the middle near the temperature probe.

Do not try to place two "strings" of batteries in parallel as it requires a lot more electronics and safeties in place for a proper design.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I am assuming you mean you will disassemble your existing pack and build another one using new bus-bars with 2 modules in parallel for a 7S2P right?

If so just keep the modules from the existing pack together and the ones from the new pack together.

You will end-up with an odd pair that contains one module from each set, put that module on the middle near the temperature probe.

Do not try to place two "strings" of batteries in parallel as it requires a lot more electronics and safeties in place for a proper design.
You have "confirmed" my thinking on this one. I realize there will be an "odd man out" so to speak, and I don't want to add another BMS to the mix. My 16 cell ZEVA will handle this kind of upgrade.

Frankly.....the only reason I even want to do this is so the Mrs. and I can travers the ATV trails in the Allegheny National Forest. Some of those trails are 30+ miles long and I'm doubting my 7 module pack will take me that many miles.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Are you going to need to source the old tuna can style modules to be able to make a single pack? Seems like you would need to make 2 separate packs if you get newer generation modules.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I think you need to source the same style modules and put them in parallel with your existing ones. You can't really make two packs with different type cells.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

So, if I have the "add-on" 7 module's thought out correctly, the setup would look like the connections in the photo below. My bus bars would now connect 4 terminals & two on each end, where my 7 module pack now connects two and there is a single one on each end.

However, how would the ZEVA "view" the cells now that there are 28 individual cells?

Maybe I need to look at the ZEVA documentation again.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
So, if I have the "add-on" 7 module's thought out correctly, the setup would look like the connections in the photo below. My bus bars would now connect 4 terminals & two on each end, where my 7 module pack now connects two and there is a single one on each end.

However, how would the ZEVA "view" the cells now that there are 28 individual cells?

Maybe I need to look at the ZEVA documentation again.

The string
would be Pack+ +new/old parallel- +new/old parallel- +new/old parallel- +new/old parallel- +new/old parallel- +new/old parallel- +new/old parallel- Pack-

Seven new/old pairs in series!
Each parallel pair would have all 3 terminals paired together.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO