lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default It's Alive !!!!!

Finally got the cart running again with a new motor and controller.

The biggest delay was cause by heat sink compound. I needed to cover about 61 sq/in to couple the controller and voltage reducer to their respective heatsinks and ordered some on-line since the only stuff I could find locally was the expensive stuff for CPU chips. The darned package came on a slow boat from China.

The were some other minor glitches in the process also, and my Honey-Do list expanded exponentially after I managed the take out the stock motor and DCX400 controller.

Anyway, after de-tuning it enough to drive across the yard without digging furrows, I took it out for a spin.

The stretch of road I use for measuring top speed is closed (storm sewer being installed), but it appears to top out at about 28MPH on level ground.
That is the same as I was getting with the DCX400 and stock PDS motor, but I get there sooner with the ES-76-51 motor and DCX500 controller.

The new set-up has more midrange torque as well as a lot more low end torque. The hills that slowed the DCX400/PDS motor combo down to 16-17 MPH, now only slows it to 19-20 MPH. (Running about 25MPH on approaches to the hills - Obeying the Speed limit. )

I was pleasantly surprised by the Amp draw. I don't have the ammeter installed yet, but with the DCX400/PDS motor, I could take the pack voltage down to 1.50VPC (31.5V for my 42V pack) accelerating up a steep hill. With the new set-up, it stays above 36.0V, so the amp draw is less.

I did several jackrabbit starts from stop signs, so the AH usage was high, but crunching the numbers on 12 mile run, my initial range estimate is 28.3 miles, which is about what I was hoping for when I started the original upgrade. That may increase some as the batteries reach their max storage capacity and definitely will with a lighter foot on the throttle.

New motor also runs much cooler. I only got it up to 89°C (Max is 115°C) and cover the same ground, the previous set-up got up top 104°C.

And it is a lot quieter.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: It's Alive !!!!!

Congrats Johnnie
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Glad to hear that you're going, and better than you were before! I did use thermal paste for cpu's on mine. Is that bad? I've had no heating problems.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

!!!!
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Will the foil hat stay on at 28mph?
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Come on, man......put another battery in it!
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Excellent report Johnnie. Have you got regen setup in the DCX500?
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
rsw007
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

sounds awesome!
rsw007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Glad to hear that you're going, and better than you were before! I did use thermal paste for cpu's on mine. Is that bad? I've had no heating problems.
The CPU stuff is fine, in fact, it is on the overkill side of good.

I was looking for the thermal grease used to mount power transistors and the like and all I could find around here was "Arctic Ice" and similar overpriced substances, which I already have enough of on-hand to mount a a few CPUs, but not enough for a 4.5" by 8.5" contact surface.

I got blindsided by the fact it was being shipped from China, but other than that, it was what I was looking for and I got enough of it to cover the 3.5" by 6.5" contact area of the voltage reducer when I install it.

In all honesty, not much delay was actually caused by the lack of thermal compound, I was busy doing other things some of the time.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Will the foil hat stay on at 28mph?
The antennae lay back some, but the staples keep it in place pretty well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO