lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
Paul678
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car DS 2002 Lurches forward, then Stops

Hi everyone,

My friend has an electric 2002 Club Car DS, which lurches a few inches forward when you step on the acceleration pedal, but almost immediately stops. It has fairly new batteries, although there is one 8 volt cell that is at about 6 volts, but the total series voltage was about 47 volts, which seems like it should be enough. The lights all seem to be normally bright.
I read that the solenoid should "click" when it's operating properly, and I can hear this clicking as the cart lurches forward, so I'm hoping this part is ok. What is the proper way to test the solenoid? Do all these carts have the "motor controller output regulator"? I didn't notice
this part on this cart.
I didn't realized until I did some research today that I should disconnect the A1/A2 connections on the 5BC59JBS6365 motor, and do a resistance check there: A1 to A2 should be close to zero ohms. What should the resistance be from F1 to F2? Pretty low, right? F1/F2 to case ground > 20 Megs, and A1/A2 to case ground > 5kohms, right? I will do these tests soon, but if the cart lurches forward for a few inches, doesn't that mean the motor is probably ok? At rest, the +47 volts was on both A1 and A2, and F1/F2 appears to be at ground potential, iirc. Also, are the 3 wires coming from the side of the motor part of a speedometer sensor?

Perhaps I should just drop in a new controller, and see what happens?

Thanks for any advice in advance.....
Paul678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Club Car DS 2002 Lurches forward, then Stops

Sounds like you have a battery problem, 47v is only 25/30% charge, hook your meter to the pos+ and the neg - on the battery pack, drive it and tell us what the volts drop to

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:58 AM   #3
Paul678
Not Yet Wild

Ok, does the table you post apply to lead acid, marine deep cycle
batteries? This is the type my friend has.

Five of the cells were around 8.3 Volts, which according to your chart, would be about 77% or so. But as I have mentioned, one of the batteries was at about 6 volts, which is way off your chart! Probably a few percent, or possibly the plates are damaged. Could it be that this one (damaged?) battery has a high internal resistance, so that when the motor lurches forward and draws current, the voltage drops too much?

I do remember taking a measurement on the A1 post of the motor, and the voltage dropped from 47 Volts to about 10 volts, IIRC, as the cart moved forward a few inches. Then the voltage went back to 47 volts and stayed there, even as my friend continued to depress the acceleration pedal, but the cart remained motionless after the first lurch.

More info: my buddy also showed me a problem with the charger unit.
I believe he told me, the charger used to go up to about 10 Amps as it was plugged into the cart, but now the current meter swings wildly at around under 5 Amps, but never settles down to a constant current. Then, as
he unplugged it from the cart, the meter needle would stop swinging, and drop to zero.

Could it be that this one bad battery is the culprit?

Thanks much for your time and input.....
Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

One bad battery will bring down the capabilities of the entire pack . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if your pack is reading 47 volts at rest i,m guessing thats where your problem is and all it takes is 1 battery to cause this......before putting a controller in it get the batteries worked out or your gonna keep finding the same thing........you mentioned one battery at 6 volts ? have you load tested the batteries? if not load test each one you,ll find your problem..................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Paul678
Not Yet Wild

You mean with something like this:

Amazon.com: Actron CP7612 Battery Load Tester: Automotive Amazon.com: Actron CP7612 Battery Load Tester: Automotive

How about if I just measure across each battery, and have my friend depress the accelerator, and see which battery drops too much voltage? Again, when I measured at the A1 post of the motor, the voltage dropped from 47 Volts to about 10 volts, as the cart moved forward a few inches. Then the voltage went back to 47 volts and stayed there, even as my friend continued to depress the acceleration pedal, but the cart remained motionless after the first lurch.

IIRC, the 6 volt battery was actually even less than that, like about 5.8 volts or so.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Paul678
Not Yet Wild

Also, I read that mixing old batteries with new ones is a bad idea.

Does this mean my buddy shouldn't just replace the 6 volt battery alone, but that he should replace even the 8.3 V units as well?

Certainly, at least the model and brand should be the same......
Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul678 View Post
Also, I read that mixing old batteries with new ones is a bad idea.

Does this mean my buddy shouldn't just replace the 6 volt battery alone, but that he should replace even the 8.3 V units as well?

Certainly, at least the model and brand should be the same......
Try to find a good used one that's the same age and ampere hr rating. Many cart shops sell good used batteries.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if this is a 48 volt cart there should be no 6 volt batteries in there thats a no-no.............and yes check your batteries at the battery post not at the motor, you can put the meter across each one and have someone press the pedal that should work....................how many 6 volt batteries are in it? or is it a 36 volt cart? i thought they quit making 36 volt carts in 2001 but maybe its 2003 i,m not certain but right now you really need to get the batteries figured out cause if not it dosn,t matter what anyone does its not gonna get you anywhere if the pack isn,t right........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
Paul678
Not Yet Wild

This is a 48 Volt cart.

I gonna let my buddy know that he should get a used battery, of similar age, but the same make and model, which tests at least 8.3 Volts no-load, and try to replace the 6 Volt unit, and see what happens.

But what I don't understand: the car lurches forward a few inches only at the beginning of depressing the accelerator, and then stops. Does the controller unit somehow sense during the initial loading that the voltage drop is too great, as just cut the motor?

Tags
club car ds 2002
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car