lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
Burt Pierce
Not Yet Wild

Default Precedent Brake Light Kit

2006 Precedent---It has full complement of LED lights and turn signals, plus a horn installed. Brake lights are activated by a pressure pad on brake pedal. I don't like the pressure pad, so I installed a brake switch activated by brake linkage movement and it works very well except brake lights stay on when the parking brake is locked. Ebay kits show, in addition to a switch and fuse, a timer that will turn off the brake lights after a 30 second time and a 48v relay. Can anyone tell me the purpose of the relay, how it works and what it does? It needs to be installed behind dash panel and I have so many wires, etc. in there I don't want the battle to put it in. It appears to be necessary only if the timer is used?
Any clarifying info would be appreciated.
Burt Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Brake Light Kit

The relay in the dash is only necessary if Your 12v source does not turn OFF with the key switch.

As long as your 48v->12v reducer is controlled by the key switch, there is no need for the relay.

The brake timer is only needed if You leave the key ON when You park (bad idea anyway).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
Burt Pierce
Not Yet Wild

My key has no effect on the 12v supply. Even in the OFF position, all lights/signals/horns still work. Would it be safe to assume then, if I installed the relay, my system would function as follows: Key ON, Relay closes, Cart 12v electric circuitry would reflect 12v. Turn key off; cart 12v circuitry dead. If that's the case, the only time I would use the timer would be when I park, lock brakes and leave key in ON position; I Think
Burt Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is correct, but if the reason Your 12v stays always ON is because You are using a single 12v battery, that can potentially shorten the life of all batteries.

Otherwise you just need to add a Relay like this one:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...HO3CeSfQ%3D%3D
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

The power that goes to your brake lights 12V+ will go to the timer input, then out of the timer to your brake lights. The timer also has a 12V - , it is for the timer only it has nothing to do with the lights. When you press the brake, power goes from brake light switch to timer 12V + timer turns on for 30 sec. As long as brakes are held. After 30 sec. The timer turns the power off.

Knowing this maybe you can figure out how you need to wire the brake lights to work the way you want them to.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car