lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
ron.k.norton
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Workhorse Honda V Twin engine swap

I recently purchased an EZGO workhorse that is all stock. I want to retrofit the engine to a 20HP Honda V Twin engine. I need to know what is required and where I can buy the parts. I think that I may need to put a rear lift to fit the engine in and I am sure I will need a new torque converter, and what about the exhaust.

The knowledge of the readers of this great forum will be much appreciated.

Thanks
ron.k.norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Workhorse Honda V Twin engine swap

Welcome Ron.... Does the engine you have have a electric starter and a charger and horizontal shaft ?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
ads245
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If you need any help, a lot can be found by performing a search under honda, but in most cases people tend to upgrade to the 24hp honda, also do a search under that. Click on the "Site Sponsors" link and try Mikes Motor Toys, they sell the 24hp. Another website that sells the conversion kit is shown below. Also if you are looking at installing a lift kit, the site sponsors have a nice selection. IMO it would just be easier to go ahead and get the 24HP, that already comes with everything.

http://www.amekgolfcars.com/Honda_24...e_Upgrade.html
ads245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
ron.k.norton
Not Yet Wild

Well I got the new engine for a steal. Under $500 it is a horziontal shaft with the electric starter and 20 amp charger and the low oil shut off swithch. The shaft is a one inch shaft which I have heard is easier to get a new torque converter for. I was told that a commet 780 part # 206095 A is the right one. I also ran across a note in the forum about exhaust and found this link http://robertsonstorquetubes.com/pro...werengine_ufit which looks perty good but I am still searching for a tuned header so that the big dog roars.

Keep the info coming and thanks. I will try to take some pics to post.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

You'll usually need the cart lifted, size depends on what engine frame you use. I'd call Tom at CPP http://www.cartpartsplus.com/ He can hook you up on the things you'll need. If I remember right he use to sell that engine in a kit.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
ron.k.norton
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tip I will call Tom on Tues. Does anyone have a cart with the Honda 20hp v-twin in it. I would like to hear from someone who has one. Any pictures would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Hello ron.k.norton and Welcome to the forum.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
bergy
Not Yet Wild

help can any one help me on this i want to put a 20hp motor in a workhorse can any one hook me up with contacts ,i do all work i just looking what motor to use and starter and i would like to just drop in but i sure that wont happen , HELP
and i am on a tight buget
bergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

bergy, Welcome to BGW!

This is not an easy project to do right on a tight budget... Many things besides the motor need to be altered to accommodate a V-twin...
engine cradle
ignition
intake
exhaust
drive belt
drive clutch
suspension lift
BGW Sponsor CPP is the leading authority on big block installs. They sell drop in kits or any part of the job you may need. Check out the sponsor links at the top of any page. Others have managed to buy parts here and there and put this all together but it is not a cheap upgrade. The motor is just a part of the upgrade... Check out the other 'big block' builds and CPP's kits to see what I mean. Good Luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Hey bergy, welcome!
Like Scotty said, check out CPP's page and the big block kits. I put a Honda 20 in my workhorse and bought it piece work. It ultimate cost me about $500.00 and countless hours more than the kit from CPP.

Good luck and let us know how you do
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!