lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
jdrich12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Losing most power 2002 EZGO 36V TXT PDS

I have new batteries, each reading 6.1 to 6.5 V. I had an aftermarket rebuilt motor put on last week. I took it out on a shake down cruise and all was well for a while. I went down a large steep hill getting up to at least 40 mph...maybe more. Immediately after that, it lost most of its power and the motor was HOT to the touch. The battery cables were NOT hot. I limped her home in that low power mode, charged her over night, and tried to take it out today.....same thing. It has very low power and goes very slow. Any ideas? Is it OK to haul arse downhills?
jdrich12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Losing most power 2002 EZGO 36V TXT PDS

On that cart likely not, more than like you overspeed the motor and damaged it...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You may have damaged that new motor. The PDS motors can't take that much down hill speed. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can confirm, I just know that ain't good for it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
jdrich12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I put it in diagnostic mode and it said there was a problem with the speed sensor. I'll take it off and see if I can see anything wrong.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrich12 View Post
I put it in diagnostic mode and it said there was a problem with the speed sensor. I'll take it off and see if I can see anything wrong.
That is a possibility. Do the speed sensor test. Push the cart, or roll down hill a little and check to see if the cart beeps, then slightly brakes a little the speed sensor should be good. If it does not beep or break it is probably bad.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You certainly overspeeded the motor by going that fast! Not to mention risking a wreck! You may have damaged the motor. You are lucky if it's the speed sensor but I would guess that the motor is also damaged.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your batteries need to be equalized and your dead-reckoning speedometer need to be calibrated.

All six batteries ought to be within 0.1V of each other. Use a 6V charger to get the low voltage ones up to par, or use a 12V and charge the lower ones in pairs.

As for the speed estimate, a stock 36V PDS controller limits motor RPM to about 4400RPM on level ground and the regen braking kicks is at about 10% above that going downhill. With stock height tires (18"), the motor would be spinning at about 9300RPM at 40MPH, so I suspect the speed was a bit less than that, or the magnet disk is loose on the motor shaft, or you have some very tall tires on the cart.

The motor would have most definitely been hot after going down a steep hill due to the max regen braking being use by the controller to limit the motor RPM.

BTW: Here is what my stock PDS motor looked like after being severely over-heated and over-revved going down a steep hill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock PDS Motor - Exploded Armature.jpg (250.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
jdrich12
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The speed sensor magnet was broken. Quick question....The motor is an after market higher performance motor. Can I buy any EZGO speed sensor magnet/washer assembly or must it be one that goes with this particular aftermarket motor?
Old 11-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It would really help if we were to know what make and model the much discussed aftermarket motor was
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO