lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Skid plates

Been thinkin I need to get busy on some skid plates under my cart. Winter, snow, mud, etc., it got pretty bad last year & I'd like to keep it from happening again. The engine cradle has a big opening in the front that I need to cover, plus the Ausco disc brakes, brake cables, maybe something underneath the front a-arms.
I'm going to start looking for cheap diamond plate on CL.
Lookin for ideas on what anyone else has done to protect their carts. Pics would be great.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Skid plates

look for someone selling an aluminum diamond plate truck tool box on CL. Most of the time you can find one cheaper than the sheets. since you are cutting them for the bottom of the buggy you don't really need it to be super shiny anymore which is why the faded ones go cheaper. I bought one for $40 and still use it to cut stuff from.
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Great idea. Some good useable sizes of DP in those things.

So what kind of hardware did you use to secure yours?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

I have not cut mine out yet. Been waiting to finish some other stuff underneath. I plan on welding tabs and using 1/4 inch bolts and nuts.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hmmmm, welding aluminum is outside my scope. But maybe I could just cut small sections of angle iron to use for brackets & bolt them on.
Would be nice to use U bolts to go around whatever, especially under the Terra Toys IFS. But I figured the bolts would get trashed over time.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
Hmmmm, welding aluminum is outside my scope. But maybe I could just cut small sections of angle iron to use for brackets & bolt them on.
Would be nice to use U bolts to go around whatever, especially under the Terra Toys IFS. But I figured the bolts would get trashed over time.
Yeah mine is a steel frame which is much easier to weld. You could use stainless self tapping screws with the nut driver type heads.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I have a used bedliner and thinking of using that. I don't care so much about bling and see most of the utv use a similar flat material, nylon or whatever it is.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
rib33024

AirJunky, i think 1moretoy is talking about welding a metal tab to the metal frame, and bolting the aluminum to the metal tabs he welded to the frame, you don't need to weld any aluminum,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moretoy View Post
I have not cut mine out yet. Been waiting to finish some other stuff underneath. I plan on welding tabs and using 1/4 inch bolts and nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Rib,
I see that now. Seems like there might be issues with melting wires or whatever. When I can get some plates cut out, I'll keep it in mind in case I can weld tabs to the engine cradle or IFS.

The old bed liner idea is an interesting one. Probably bends around corners pretty easily. I found a free one on CL here in town too.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
rib33024

Yeah sounds like The old bed liner idea would work
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts