lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Got SottyB's DVM Installed & Hit The Trails

Finally made some time to get this done and it is GREAT. Had previously been riding around with my DMM, trying to watch it, untanlge it, and keep the dog out of it.

These things are really nice and SO easy to install. After doing it, I wouldn't even consider going without the trim plate. Nice touch Scotty...
Wired mine with the "ignition on" option. I LOVE IT!

I thought some of you might like seeing where we ride. Just some trails in a pasture about a half mile from the house.....

Where We'd been...

Ready To Roam....no time for a pose....

Headed Home...Camera was focused ahead. The digital display is actually razor sharp.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Got SottyB's DVM Installed & Hit The Trails

Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
ETX
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have the same year and 36v cart as you. Can you give a newbie detailed instructions on how you installed this? Any other advise on what you have done to your cart would be a big help as I am going to start trying to restore mine to make it more reliable. Thanks.
ETX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

It looks like he's trying to get to the pedal to make the cart go again...

-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That looks good. You did a nice install.
Now there's no reason to worry about staying out too long or to be going home too early... Just remember 36.3 is empty and 38.2 is full.
And follow the usage in 10ths of a volt...That gives you nearly 20 steps or readings from empty to full.
Beats the heck out of the old 4 bar led meter where 1 bar down was okay and the second bar down was OH Crap!

Thanks for posting the pics, The Cart looks capable... & it looks like you have a nice place to run the dog there too.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Schunter
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks good ,,,i like mine to no guessing..
Schunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
wareagle11949
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETX View Post
I have the same year and 36v cart as you. Can you give a newbie detailed instructions on how you installed this? Any other advise on what you have done to your cart would be a big help as I am going to start trying to restore mine to make it more reliable. Thanks.
I have Scotty's DVM too and wired it directly to the pack (48 v) with a toggle switch under the seat to cut it off and on. I have decided I would like to wire it to the keyswitch. Do you just split the + on the switch? Thanks for the help in advance.
wareagle11949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
That looks good. You did a nice install.
Now there's no reason to worry about staying out too long or to be going home too early... Just remember 36.3 is empty and 38.2 is full.
And follow the usage in 10ths of a volt...That gives you nearly 20 steps or readings from empty to full.
Beats the heck out of the old 4 bar led meter where 1 bar down was okay and the second bar down was OH Crap!

Thanks for posting the pics, The Cart looks capable... & it looks like you have a nice place to run the dog there too.
Thank you Sir! Capable yes, but I want more POWER. Love the Meter Scotty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle11949 View Post
I have Scotty's DVM too and wired it directly to the pack (48 v) with a toggle switch under the seat to cut it off and on. I have decided I would like to wire it to the keyswitch. Do you just split the + on the switch? Thanks for the help in advance.
Yep, I really am glad I did it this way too. Run a NEG from last battery in pack, take the HOT from the key to the DVM. Easy peezy....
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

I will give all details later, but off to work now. I'll have that here by the time you get a meter. If you order one, do not forget the trim plate. I prefer the rectangle one, but there is oval too. Sorry I can't answer all now. Stay tuned...
Old 02-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #10
Brushpup
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I'll be glad to help, but talk about the blind leading the blind.
However...If I can do this anyone can. After getting into this cart, I am finally conquering my ignorance of eletrical stuff. One baby step at a time. Skip step one if you are ahead of me on electrical stuff.

I wanted mine on with ignition on only, but it is personal preference. You asked for details on doing it, so here you go. My apologies if this is too long and drawn out. Lastly, this is how I did it and what worked on my cart. There...Thats' my disclaimer.

1. Get a digital multimeter if you dont have one, start using it on your cart to get familiar with it and volts at different points on your cart.

2. Run a wire from NEGATIVE on the last battery (#6) in the pack to the front of the cart. Drivers's side front Batt. I used 16Ga primary wire you can get in any auto parts store. Run it out along the wires going to the front ignition panel, and long enough to reach. While you are doing this, check all the wires. I secured mined down tight because I'm in the brush a lot. Don't tighten them down yet, you may need slack, so do it later.

3. Remove the screws on the side of the igniton panel. With care, push down, and pop the panel loose from the top. You may have to pry it from the top with a large flat screw driver or trim tool. There is a small lip here securing it under aluminum trim. Once loose, you can pull the whole thing back, just be careful of the ignition and buzzer wire connections. Now you can see which ignition switch post you want for POSITIVE to your DVM with key on only install. Attach your Neg meter lead to Negative on #6, or your lead wire if you ran it already. I used Alligator clip leads to do this. Turn the key to on, and touch each post to get your pack charge to show on your meter. In my case it was the blue wire with the key in ON position. Again, this will be your wire for positive to the DVM. If you connect it to the other post on the ignition, your DVM will be on all the time. Up to you....

4. Next you have two options. You can put the dash panel back in the forward position without snapping it in to cut your slot. Or, you can take the panel completely out with a little care and effort. You'll notice it is split below the steering column for this. I did it this way and put it on my bench to work on it there. Much easier to me this way, but up to you. Do note that there are retainer clips for each of the panel screws. Keep an eye out for these when you pull the panel off...don't lose em cause they anchor your screws. Draw a diagram or take a picture to remember where the wires all go. In either case, decide where you want your meter, put the trim plate there and trace the inside of it with a sharpie or something. Now you have the layout lines for the meter. I used a Dremel with a grinder disk to cut the slot out. Cut ON the lines and be careful to be precise. Try fitting your DVM in the slot. I finished mine to fit by filing it the rest of the way out.

5. Once your DVM fits snug in the hole you cut, put it in the trim plate, then the slot. Now you are ready to install the brass retainer that came with your meter. Slip it onto the back of the meter with the "teeth" pointing to the front of the cart. With some effort, you will get it all the way down to the inside back of the panel. Keep pressing it until your meter is secure. I found pressing with my thumbs on the bottom of the "teeth" worked best. Don't press on the long curves, or you'll bend the retainer. Put the panel partially back on, hook up your wires. Re-install the panel...you're done.

As for other stuff I've done...

First, I removed all the batteries (drawings of wiring first), cleaned the frame with scraping, wire brush and baking soda solution. Cleaned the batts and cables....replaced a few as well. Cleaned all major connections, some needed new connector ends so replaced those. I use PJ1 air filter oil on my battery connections and battery trays for protection. Installed a flip seat. I helped put on the lift kit and heavy rear springs when I bought the cart. We didn't have new rear bushings or sleeves at the time, so I put those on later. Painted the wheels black and put on covers. In a month or so, I plan on putting all new controls in to get rid of the resistor set up, and be ready for a 48V conversion. A little leary about doing this, but want to tackle it. Thats about it I think....

Oh yea...with some help from Scotty B, I put full power to my reverse and LOVE it. This is so easy and its FREE!

If you have questions, feel free to PM me, or we can talk on the phone. I'll be glad to help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car