lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Lift Stability Question

What makes one set of tires more stable than another?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm planning to install a 3" Jakes spindle lift on my 2004 CC DS. The Jakes sight shows packages with 20x10-10 wheels/tires included with the 3" lifts, but the online install instructions for the lift say to use a 20x10-8 tire/wheel for maximum stability.

Any reason for examply why I couldn't use a 22x11-8 setup, or a 22x11-10, or a 22x10-10 setup? How would those affect stability versus the one recommended on the instructions and the one included with the combo kits?

Thanks for any help understanding this.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lift Stability Question

First off, I don't think the 22s will fit under the cart with a 3" lift. Check with the manufacture to verify... You may need Jakes forward specer?
THe taller a tire is the less stability so to speak. The more sidewall the less stability. and lastly the less ply(s) the more flex= less stability......... all that being said You will not have a loss of stability in the 3-4" lift and 20" tires IMHO 22s is where you canstart to feel a little tire give. I run 25s on 10" wheels on the workhorse in my avatar for max flex off road and stability is not a problem in my opinion....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Jake's Golf Carts
Gone Wild

22" will not fit on the 3" lift kit for Club Cars or Yamaha carts. 22" will fit on E-Z-Go's with our 3" lift. A 20x10x8 will ride softer than a 22x10x10 because there is 2" of more sidewall on the tire. Most people like the look of a 10" wheel over the 8" wheel. Another reason we sell more 10" wheels than 8" is because all of our patented spindles come pre-drilled to accept our front hydraulic brakes, and you need to run a 10" wheel or larger to clear the calipers. Overall it is up to the consumer to decide what set up they want to go with. Hope this helps.
Jake's Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake's Lift Kits View Post
22" will not fit on the 3" lift kit for Club Cars or Yamaha carts. 22" will fit on E-Z-Go's with our 3" lift. A 20x10x8 will ride softer than a 22x10x10 because there is 2" of more sidewall on the tire. Most people like the look of a 10" wheel over the 8" wheel. Another reason we sell more 10" wheels than 8" is because all of our patented spindles come pre-drilled to accept our front hydraulic brakes, and you need to run a 10" wheel or larger to clear the calipers. Overall it is up to the consumer to decide what set up they want to go with. Hope this helps.
THat is an excellent post. Thanks for the info.

Now, Which one are you gonna get?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

I still don't know on rim size.

Jake's emailed me the response on the tires, so I know I need to be looking at the 20" tires.

I don't know if I ever plan to put on front brakes or not. I don't have them now and don't know if I need them or not. I like the look of the 8" rims on 20" tires better just because they look more balanced and less "low profile" in my eye.

Guess I'll just have to give it more thought, but at least I've narrowed down the tire size and understand the stability issue. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
pansser
ZONE FREE ZONE

E-Z-GO

6" lift 23"x12" tires!!!!
pansser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pansser View Post
6" lift 23"x12" tires!!!!
Yeah... but, he want's a 3" lift!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

Exactly. Don't want to go too high with it.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
kellys~hotrods
Gone to refill cooler...

Yamaha

If you are concerned with stability (for instance if you plan on running on off camber terrain), you could add a set of wheel spacers. A good rule of thumb is "Go wide as you go high." I did add a set of three inch spacers to the front end of my cart, and stability was the reason for it.

Kelly
kellys~hotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
txbonds
Gone Wild
Club Car

I ended up getting a 3" jakes spindle lift from a local area dealer for a super price. Also decided on stormtrooper rims with 20x10-10 tires. Same thing, local area dealer with a good price. I appreciate all of the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts