lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: ZEVA error code "No comms to charger”

Okay, I was just wondering if the CAN controlled, TC Charger worked similar to my EV Battery Center charger; which it does. When the charge is complete, the only thing I hear running is my charger fan and my monitor reads 0 amps, 0 kW.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2019, 07:09 AM   #12
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I received a response from Ian and he confirmed my suspicion. Here is what he stated:

It is expected that the EVMS will lose comms to the charger if its AC supply is unplugged, as this causes the charger to power down and stop talking to the EVMS. So, usual behaviour and nothing to worry about.

Regarding the bar graph, orange bars indicate that these cells are being balanced. Based on your voltages this might be expected if your balance threshold is set to 4.09V. Or if you have balance threshold set to “dynamic”, any cells more than 0.01V above the average voltage would be receiving balancing, though it looks like yours don’t have this much imbalance (unless you have one of the earlier firmwares which didn’t have this 0.01V tolerance).

Kind regards,

Ian Hooper
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:41 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Based on his reply I guess You did not give him your settings...

The charger not being able to communicate while powered OFF is logical.

You display showing 57.304v with the target charge voltage set to 57v is not.

If the charger interprets/regulates that 57v as 57.x it is not a big deal for you, but it could be for members that set the charger to 58v.

Perhaps other folks that use that CAN charger can chime in on their final voltage vs set charge voltage.

It is important to allow the charger to completely finish as the final absorption phase (low current) is needed to properly charge the batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I thought adding the individual cell charges that equal 57.304 was not unusual considering the pack charge is 57.0 and the max per cell V is set at 4.15.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #15
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm wondering what would happen if you did not unplug it, but left the charger do it's thing. Would the system charge it up to 4.15v per cell, ending up with 58.1v total? Even though you have the max total set to 57v?

I understand you are unplugging it, and that is working for you. I guess I'm asking for curiosity's sake, and to understand how the system works.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #16
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post

I understand you are unplugging it, and that is working for you.
Don't misunderstand, I don't do the unplug thing on each charge. It's just these last two charges I've done it because of the circumstances of time.

This is the only time I've gotten this error since my install.

I honestly don't recall the total charge from previous charges. I'll pay attention the next time. (I look at it.......but numbers usually don't "stick" in my head.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #17
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Don't misunderstand, I don't do the unplug thing on each charge. It's just these last two charges I've done it because of the circumstances of time.

This is the only time I've gotten this error since my install.

I honestly don't recall the total charge from previous charges. I'll pay attention the next time. (I look at it.......but numbers usually don't "stick" in my head.
I have the same problem with numbers!

It's a curiosity to me. Seems like the "brain" of the BMS has to do one or the other. Does it go with total pack volts setting, or the individual cell volts setting... Maybe I am overthinking this whole thing, but seems to me the two settings would confuse the "brain".

I am considering getting the TC charger in the future, so I can have the comms. This is why I am curious.

Thank you for sharing information!
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:42 AM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The non CAN controlled chargers folks use here when set for 57.4v stop at 57.4v.

The Zeva BMS has nothing to do with the actual charging other than send a command to the charger via CAN bus instructing it how much voltage to charge the pack.

The charger has no way of knowing the voltage per cell distribution, it should just charge using its algorithm until the "target charge voltage" is reached.

The BMS is always monitoring the cells for under or over voltage condition, regardless if the charger is running or not.

If any cell were to reach the "max cell voltage" setting, during charge or Regen operation (for Sepex Controllers), the BMS shuts down.

It seems like the safest way to verify the charger finishing voltage is to lower that setting to 56v and see how far the pack voltage goes at the end of the charging cycle.

It is entirely possible the charger calibration is off and that is what is causing the voltage at the pack being higher than the set value.

If the test shows the charger is exceeding the setting by 0.4v, it is no big deal but You should re-calculate the "balancing voltage" setting based on that value so the shunts only go active for cells that exceed the actual charging average.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #19
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The non CAN controlled chargers folks use here when set for 57.4v stop at 57.4v.
My non-CAN charger stops at 58.4v on the dot every charge.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO