lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2019, 07:59 AM   #31
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: where to get copper buss bar and terminal covers?

My cart peaks at over 300 amps on startup.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #32
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I've peaked at 410 for a split second so far when going up hill. Cruising, I pull around 50-60 amps if memory serves right.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #33
CWGrisw0ld
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
Are you looking for something like this, its a 14 pack leaf

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Where’s that cover from?
CWGrisw0ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #34
cmysstailights
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGrisw0ld View Post
Where’s that cover from?
I make them and sell them

cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:31 PM   #35
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since he already has the board is there any reason that he couldn't place the bus bars between the circuit board and the modules to carry the amperage and still use the circuit board on top for the BMS connections?

MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:52 AM   #36
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJEFE View Post
Since he already has the board is there any reason that he couldn't place the bus bars between the circuit board and the modules to carry the amperage and still use the circuit board on top for the BMS connections?

I checked that idea and found there would be a gap between the board and the middle battery posts if I put the bus bars on underneath. When I was comparing the board to the bus bars, I found the bus bars to be only slightly thicker than the board, to the point that my finger hardly noticed the difference when running it over one to the other. I wish I had a gauge measure so I could get an accurate measure on both. Once again, my disclaimer: I have no education in electronics and do not claim to be a tech or an electrician. That said, I wonder if I was to use the bus bars on TOP of the board as heat sinks? And by the looks of it, there is quite a bit of silver ring surface where the bolts go through the board. I would also be making contact with both battery terminals via that silver ring surface. I am not sure how much or how well the bars would work to dissipate the heat, but I think they would also work as a back up if the board bus heated to the point that it melted. I do know that the board is thicker than the battery cable connectors on my LA batteries currently in the golf cart. I do wish I understood more about the traits of amperage. I do know that when I ran new receptacles in my home for power tools in my garage, for instance, I ran thicker wire for a 20 amp breaker than a 15 amp breaker. That is the extent of my limited understanding of amperage.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #37
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

But the board isn't only a conductor! How thick is the conductor on the board that is taking the place of the copper bus bar???? I would not mess around with this. Use copper bus bars.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #38
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

From what I have read on the Internet, in order to handle 400amps, I would need a 1/4" copper bus bar. 1/8" bus bars were shipped with the seven leafs. My understanding (wrong?) that 1/8" thick copper bus bars can handle up to 300+ amps. I have a curtis 400 amp controller but I doubt I have ever pulled 400 amps with it, even running up 45* inclines.
OK, you all have put the fear in me of using the board as is. You have convinced me that my cart will burn if I use it to carry the current. SOoooo, how about this idea; how about I cut the copper circuit in each on-board bus bar, use my separate bus bars along with the board, so that I can utilize the BMS bus for the wiring? I can cut the copper on the board but leave the BMS wiring bus attached that goes to each cell. Just kicking around the idea, since I already spent the money on the board anyway. If the copper layered on the board is thin, then I should not have any problem cutting a channel through it.
If that don't pass muster, I have no problem wiring the BMS that hard way, by attaching wire ends on the fifteen wires and screwing them to the terminals. Thought it would be nice to have the advantage of using the plug in BMS wiring harness provided with the board.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #39
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes you can do that. Since the bus bars are fairly short, I think 1/8 inch might be fine. I honestly don't remember how thick mine are. You might pull close to 400 Amps but not for long enough to worry about it. A 120AH pack would last only about 15 minutes if you were pulling 400 amps continuous. Your motor would melt before that.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 AM   #40
cricketo
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Bottom line is that a 6ga cable does not limit the current to 85 amps.
Maximum current is limited by the thermal limits of the insulation first. We could probably put 100A through 12 gauge wire without burning it like a fuse, effectively turning it into a heater and setting insulation on fire. Additionally, higher resistance of a smaller gauge wire results in higher voltage drop.

So ampacity charts typically assume some common temperature ratings for insulation (such as 90 or 100 C) and certain voltage drop (such as 3%) when they provide these values. It is not uncommon though to encounter cables with high-temp insulation such as 130C, which makes them suitable for higher amp applications, but due to losses still not ideal, especially in applications like EVs.
cricketo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car