lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #21
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: where to get copper buss bar and terminal covers?

That whole 6ga vs 4ga is a bunch of misinformation.

The gauge of the wire does not limit current, only the total resistance which has many more variables including length, otherwise your skinny little wire in the 400 amp fuse would be a bottle neck for current flow.

A 6ga cable can pass more current than 8 x 6v can deliver, of course you need to deal with thermal management to keep the wire under its fusing temperature.

Aside from the existing cables being in bad shape (regardless of the gauge), the main reason to get a larger gauge cable is to improve the efficiency, and even then you are talking about single digits efficiency gain or less than 1 volt difference at the motor under normal use.

Bottom line is that a 6ga cable does not limit the current to 85 amps.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #22
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mryno View Post
You could always try it if you get it and it looks sturdy enough. It could work, but it will probably get really hot running that kind of amperage. That's just me going off what the guy over there said without actually seeing the board myself. It looks super convenient, though. Definitely tempting to try.
I guess since I have already ordered it, I could give it a try. I wonder if I was to use my bus bars on top of the board, I would still have the convenience of the BMS wiring in the circuit board. That is IF/IF the bus bars did not overlap or cross over onto any of the circuitry. Does anyone see a problem with that, or am I just simplifying something that might prove disastrous?
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #23
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I'd forgo it and do what's been tried and true with the copper bus bars. That's just me though. YMMV
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #24
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

On top of the circuit board would not work, the bussbar connection needs to be directly on top of the copper tabs on the battery modules, the bolts are just fasteners and not intended to conduct current.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #25
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would not go with anything less than a copper bussbar for high current connections. The last thing you want is to generate heat there. I have seen lead battery terminals melt on FLA batteries due to a high resistance connection.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #26
Mryno
Not Yet Wild

I just ordered cells from Tech Direct as well. They were super helpful during the process. They include copper bus bars (they look like the stock ones but I'm not sure) and I ordered some extra ones as well.
Mryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #27
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

The BMS bus bar board arrived. It is pretty thick and cannot easily be bent(if at all). Also, a sheet of plastic with six holes came with it, along with plastic or nylon standoffs, so you can protect the top of the board and terminals. A bag of terminal bolts and middle terminal screws was also enclosed. I would have to guess that the circuit board is about half the thickness of the bus bars that I received with the leaf moduals. I'm guessing. The board is pretty thick though. Not being an electronics tech, I can't judge the quality of the board, even though I have seen a lot of circuit boards and this one is nice looking and appears to be pretty well made.
I have been searching the Internet for reviews and comments on it but to no avail. I would like to get some opinions from those that have used these boards and how they worked out.
Since you all have given me a lot to think about on this board, I will hold off on using it until I can get some more information.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:20 PM   #28
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mryno View Post
I'm in the middle of ordering modules from those guys. I asked about that board hoping to do 2 x 14s2p setup, but they said that board cannot support the amperage we need. He said 60 amps, so in my case, that would total 120 amps if I were using 2 of them. In short, the circuit board is really neat, but will not support even the stock motor, unfortunately.
The answer I received today from techdirect was that it would handle 120amps. I told them specifically that I wanted to use it for a golf cart and asked them if it would work for me. They said yes and that it would handle 120amps.

Someone correct me, but it is my understanding that the more voltage you use the less amps are drawn? And the less voltage the more amps?

Again, I apologize to those on there that have to put up with ignorant questions, especially if it has been answered before. Sometimes it is difficult to sort through all the discussions to find one piece of information that pertains.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #29
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Not true. If you give your motor more voltage it will draw more amps! If you design your cart motor system for higher voltage then it can run with less amps but if you just up the voltage you will get higher max current.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #30
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
The answer I received today from techdirect was that it would handle 120amps. I told them specifically that I wanted to use it for a golf cart and asked them if it would work for me. They said yes and that it would handle 120amps.

Someone correct me, but it is my understanding that the more voltage you use the less amps are drawn? And the less voltage the more amps?

Again, I apologize to those on there that have to put up with ignorant questions, especially if it has been answered before. Sometimes it is difficult to sort through all the discussions to find one piece of information that pertains.
We're all here to learn and help each other. Nothing wrong with asking questions.

I believe these setups will draw more than 120 amps. I think I have seen someone report over 400 amps seen through their Alltrax controller. Granted that was on a hunting cart build, if memory serves me correctly. Hopefully that person, or one of the gurus will chime in, on what the amp draw numbers are to be expected.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car