lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #1
Mackman1968
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie to Golf Carts got my first one today

Hi everyone. I went today and picked up my first golf cart that I bought from an online auction here in Missouri.

SN 5K20650C6 from what I can find it is a DX4 1983. I cant find anything on this model so a point in the right direction would be great.

I need to get a tune up kit for it and some miscellaneous TLC items and it needs some love.

It has 3/4 full tank of oil and a dry rotted fuel line. I read that the I should mix the gas 85:1 is that correct?

It also needs a new throttle cable as the on that is on it is frozen and I need to figure out how the bracket that holds the choke,throttle and some cable that runs back to the clutch holds the cables in place besides zip ties and epoxy.

I did get it running with a syringe and some gas so with some minor tinkering should come back to life. I look forward to contributing and hearing you advice and comments.
Mackman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
Chad Thompson
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Re: Newbie to Golf Carts got my first one today

It looks like you have a 1986, from what I have found C6 in the VIN# indicates that it was made by Columbia after they took over from Harley in the early 80's hence the ( C ) and the 6 is the year it was built.
I just bought a 88 and have been working on it as time allows, here is a link to the service manuals that the guys on here pointed out for me.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/columbia-parcar/

Look thru the site sponsors on here and you can find most of what you need I'm sure. Also I would trash the oil tank and just use the mixed gas instead, 85:1 ratio is what everyone says to go with and check out the forum on the ignition modules if u have that setup because they burn up easily and are kinda pricey to replace so resistance at the coil is the key 4.5 ohms minimum.
Chad Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
Mackman1968
Not Yet Wild

The guy I picked it up from said it was from the 80s but nothing more. I looked it up on some website that sold parts and said it was MDL DX4 and 1983???

Where is a reliable source to find out?
Old 07-25-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I am pretty sure Chad is right. The 80's carts the last number denotes the year. You are probably better off with an 86 anyway. 83s were still hybrid carts that used a blend of left over Harley parts and "newer" Columbia parts. 86s were all Columbia. Not a huge deal as all of these carts were very similar but, in my opinion anyway, the "newer" ones are easier to get just right.

You can probably get that throttle cable to free up. Take it off and start squirting some PB Blaster or something into it and work it back and forth. It'll free up.

Your carb is probably all gummed up. Clean it up real good or put an 80s era EZ Go "Mikuni" carb on that. Knock offs cost all of $30. Google "82 - 87" EZ Go carb and you'll find a million hits. The only thing you have to do is flip the choke lever from one side to the other.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
Chad Thompson
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Go to Vintage golf cart parts website and click on the Golf Cart reference library tab and you can verify the year of your cart there.
Chad Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Mackman1968
Not Yet Wild

I emailed Columbia, they were very helpful, even recommend this site. Ms Becker confirmed it was a 1986 G4S and provided some additional online links also.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #7
Mackman1968
Not Yet Wild

Got the parts in and got it fired up the throttle does not want to go to wide open I guess that's why the governor is unhooked. I spent 6 bucks on the gasket kit guess I will see if I can find a carb for it then I think it will be all set
Old 07-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #8
backyard
Gone Wild
Columbia

The carb is made in such a way that the throttle is open full time. The governor is actually what pulls the throttle back and shouldn't have anything to do with that if the governor is unhooked. Also the spring on the foot pedal is what closes the throttle back to closed.

Maybe the throttle cable is adusted in such a way it only allows 3/4 throttle? Take the cables off the carb and see if it opens fully.
backyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parcar
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Columbia ParCar