lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Finding a short

I'm running 60v and having a problem. I have a direct short to frame somewhere. My driver side brake cable is melting. I think I have found the problem, but looking for confirmation. I have installed a new brake cable, and it melted too. This is a serious short, I started a grass fire today with cart. Luckily I was at camp with water available. I removed all 10 batteries, checked all the cables. All looked great. I started following all the other heavy cables and found no problems there. When I inspected the F/R switch I found a serious melting on a terminal. I will replace with H/D unit, but I'm looking for some support that this is my problem. I noticed that F/R switch is connected to bracket that is connected to frame. So hopefully this is my problem.
Has anyone had similar problems. I would like to advice before I burn something up again
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Finding a short

Mike, back when this started I had a feeling you had a short...Not sure where that post is but I thought you may have had a short in the Feild coil curcuit inside the motor...if the feild coil is touching the case the brake cable is a direct connection to the frame. Everything else is insulted from the frame via the spring bushings.....everything but the brake cable.

You should be able to check for continuity between the feild coil and the motor, frame, and/or brake cable....if you do have continuity there is your problem.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

If the field coil is shorting, would the best medicine be to have motor rebuilt? You are getting way over my head. I can turn a wrench, and occasionaly decipher a wiring diagram. Can you link me to a tutorial on repair. I am not sure how to test for continuity. I have a meter but don't know how to check out that process. My meter is digital, but directions disappered many moons ago.
One thing I thought about in my no Knowledge of electricity, does the controller need to be isolated from frame. I.E. rubber bushing at mounting points
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

With a volt/ohm meter put the meter to check continuity. With one lead on the a feild coil terminal on the motor and another on the frame, motor case or brake cable the meter should have continuity and "beep" if it has a short. (most newer ones with beep) If it beeps you have a short in the motor feild.

The controller does not need to be isolated....the F/R switch need not be either.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Use the Ohm's symbol. The newer one should beep if it has a direct short.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I gotcha on the ohm symbol. but another stupid question? which terminal is the field coil? A1, A2, S1,S2????
Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

S1 or S2

A's are for armature, S or F is for feild.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

so if I check it out and field coil is shorted whats the best fix? can that part of motor be fixed or is total rebuild better, or ?? Remember this is a 26+ year old cart. I have to stop the bleeding some time.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Theoretically it could be a short on the armature side too. A feild short "might" be kinda slugish on the low end.

It really depends on where/if it has a short. Sometime you can visually see it. It could have simply rubbed the insulation off a feild wire, rubbed the insulation of of a brush lead. The best advice I can give right now would be to determine IF it has a short.

If you find a short the motor comes apart pretty easily and you may see the short right away and be able to fix it yourself.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Another question? But first let me say thanks for your input. I checked my brake cables again tonight, why would only the drivers side smoke instead of both of them. They both run through metal guides along the frame.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!