lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Oil in the Filter Housing

I went to the mail box in my cart today and half way back home the engine started missing and there was a lot of blue smoke. I got home and found oil in the air filter housing that was being sucked into the carb. Is there supposed to be oil in there? (on the carb side and not the paper filter side) Is it similar to the old oil bath filter systems on the 60s and 70s on cars. Or is the oil coming from the crankcase breather tube? If it is, is that normal? I bought the cart last fall, ride it seldom but when I changed the air filter after I bought it I did not notice the oil in the housing. I have now wiped it out. There was about a tablespoon in there. Someone set me straight on this situation, if you would. Thanks.
Texas001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Oil in the Filter Housing

When was your last oil change and who performed the service? Your cart is lifted which tilts the engine and renders the dipstick inaccurate without recalibration. The crankcase may be overfilled if the original uncalibrated dipstick was used as a measure of oil level.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
When was your last oil change and who performed the service? Your cart is lifted which tilts the engine and renders the dipstick inaccurate without recalibration. The crankcase may be overfilled if the original uncalibrated dipstick was used as a measure of oil level.
I did the oil change. Put in 1 and about 1/2 quarts. The oil in the crankcase is very clean, the oil that was in the air filter housing was dirty. Could the oil have came from the crankcase breather tube into the housing if I overfilled? But why was the oil in the housing so dirty? From fine particles of dust not trapped in the filter.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Tex, I don't know as I'm a sparky guy. I just wanted to help out by relating a scenario I have seen here countless times before. If you are putting in the CORRECT amount of oil it should stay in the crankcase as before. Someone with real gasser experience will be along to help you out.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The oil is dirty because the breather tube is filled with years of dirt... was. Excessive blow-by can cause this problem too.
Check you oil level.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The oil is dirty because the breather tube is filled with years of dirt... was. Excessive blow-by can cause this problem too.
Check you oil level.
The oil is right on the full mark. Of course the amount of oil in the filter housing is not enough to make a difference on the stick. After I wiped the oil out of the housing I ran the cart around the area and no additional oil appeared in the housing and the exhaust is clear (no blue smoke). I guess I will just check from time to time and see if I get more oil in there. My brother in law said that he has had the same thing happen to him and once he wiped the housing clean he didn't have any more oil collect. Since this cart was on a golf course most of its life and was pretty much used up, chances are that it may well be blow by.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I drove the cart to the mail box again today and when I got back I checked the filter housing and it had oil in it again. I cranked it and while running put my finger on the breather tube and find air flow. Should there be air flow? It did not spit any oil during the time I let it run, about a minute, but only at idle.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Like Gornoman stated, If a cart is Lifted it should not read full on the dip stick with 1.5 quarts of oil, mine reads half way on the dipstick, where I have it marked, If it is over full on oil it will blow it into the breather.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...ntainance.html
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
Texas001
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by popatop View Post
Like Gornoman stated, If a cart is Lifted it should not read full on the dip stick with 1.5 quarts of oil, mine reads half way on the dipstick, where I have it marked, If it is over full on oil it will blow it into the breather.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...ntainance.html
Well, then I guess that I will do an oil change. When I drain the crankcase I will check to see how much was in there and refill with the correct amount. Thanks guys for all the input.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

All the oil won't come out of the Ezgo Subaru engine unless you remove the oil filter, which should be done once a yr.
You will find it on the driver side. It's triangular in shape with 3 10mm bolts holding it in place. Once it's removed for cleaning, jack the passenger side of the cart up and drain the remaining oil from the engine while you spray the metal filter out with carb or brake cleaner.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO