lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: charger is draining batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Well, you can't say we didn't try to help A guy makes 1 post and after 9 freaking replies he still hasn't the where-with-all to reply to anybody who tried to help
Better than that, he started the question again in a new thread. WTF?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...batteries.html
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #22
clatimer
Not Yet Wild

Well we are getting somewhere. The batteries were all between 2.4 and 2.6 volts. Individually charged, and got them all 5.6 or above. Went to hook up black wire on #6 battery front driver side from negative to motor and sparks start flying and immediately starts pulling # 6 battery down. Watched DVM just start dropping. Immediately disconnected black wire.
clatimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #23
clatimer
Not Yet Wild

Sorry Scotty I am new to this forum and still trying to figure it out. I appreciate all the help and will try and stay on this thread :)
Old 06-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #24
clatimer
Not Yet Wild

To all of the responses, Thanks! I am new to this forum and still trying to figure it out. Yes I was a little lax in not replying. I had surgery on my hand on Thursday so I have been away from the cart for a few days. I promise you I will respond with the FIX! Thanks for all of the input and suggestions. And yes I am a dumbass, I just realized there are pages to this thread, hmmm must be the painkillers!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #25
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by clatimer View Post
Well we are getting somewhere. The batteries were all between 2.4 and 2.6 volts. Individually charged, and got them all 5.6 or above. Went to hook up black wire on #6 battery front driver side from negative to motor and sparks start flying and immediately starts pulling # 6 battery down. Watched DVM just start dropping. Immediately disconnected black wire.
OK now we are getting somewhere....

the charger isn't draining the batteries, something in the cart is. That being said, start at the beginning until you isolate exactly what is draining the juice. If I had to venture a guess, I would say the Solenoid is welded shut, but to verify that you are going to have to run some tests.

First, put the cart in neutral, then reconnect the battery pack. Check pack voltage (we'll call this Battery Reference voltage)

Check the voltage on each of the large posts of the solenoid. Does the voltage match? Is it equal (or nearly equal to) Battery Reference voltage? If so, check the voltage on the small post of the solenoid (I usually hook my test probes to both posts so that I can verify voltage on the solenoid itself). Are you getting battery Reference voltage?

Tell us the results at this point please.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #26
clatimer
Not Yet Wild

the charger isn't draining the batteries, something in the cart is

OK I will tackle that. Let me update you more. I checked the fuse on the charging receptacle on the cart. Fuse rusted up on one end. No continuity. As soon as I touched the fuse wire it came off the rusted end. SO this may be part of the explanation of why cart is not charging. Trying to clean up all connections to motor etc to make sure contact is good. I will let you know the solenoid results.
Thanks
Old 06-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #27
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I was using a 12v charger one time and the charger output voltage was 11.6 volts. I called the manufacturer of charger and he went through several diagnostic procedures with me and finally concluded charger was faulty. I started to disconnect charger from battery and noticed alligator clip was not secure. I reconnected to battery and charger worked properly.
So a bad wire at receptable or at your batteries could cause your problem.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #28
clatimer
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for that. The charger was my first thought. I took it to a local Club Car Dealer and they put in one the test bench with me standing there. The charger is putting out 40 some volts so that does not appear to be the problem.
With the help of others on this site, it is looking like I need a new fuse for charger receptacle and solenoid is stuck. BUt, we are still disgnosing this issue. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #29
clatimer
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
OK now we are getting somewhere....

the charger isn't draining the batteries, something in the cart is. That being said, start at the beginning until you isolate exactly what is draining the juice. If I had to venture a guess, I would say the Solenoid is welded shut, but to verify that you are going to have to run some tests.

First, put the cart in neutral, then reconnect the battery pack. Check pack voltage (we'll call this Battery Reference voltage)

Check the voltage on each of the large posts of the solenoid. Does the voltage match? Is it equal (or nearly equal to) Battery Reference voltage? If so, check the voltage on the small post of the solenoid (I usually hook my test probes to both posts so that I can verify voltage on the solenoid itself). Are you getting battery Reference voltage?

Tell us the results at this point please.
Well you are right on.
After I individually charged all batteries ( did not fully charge, just put 6 volt charger on each for a couple hours, and remember they were down to about 2.4 v) and made sure all connections were solid. Pack voltage is 32.5 and holding. I have charger receptacle and wires all disconnected until I get new fuse. Solenoid also appears to be in need of replacement.
Solenoid has continuity all the time and no voltage anytime even on the small post. This cart has a lot of rust on all of the connections, so I am systematically trying to clean that up.
Any other sage advice at this point or continue forward(so to speak)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #30
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ok you have continuity on the large posts, but do you have voltage? And is the voltage the same on both posts?

the fact you are getting no voltage (with the cart in neutral) on the small posts is a good thing, that means that the micro on the F&R appears to be working properly. Now try shifting to forward and check the voltage on the small posts again. If you are suddenly getting voltage on them, we need to look at the Accelerator micro. For that I need to know what form of accelerator you have. Is it a V-Glide (black pie shaped plastic bok located on the frame rail between the driver's side batteries and the center batteries)? An MCOR (small black box located under the passenger side floorboard on the outside of the framerail)? or a continously variable potentiameter (small, usually silver, box attached to the bottom of the accelerator under the floorboard)?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car