lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
skm2006
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Battery Questions

I know I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but that's ok, I want everybody's opinions.

My 2004 CC has it's original (6 @ 8v) Trojans. I want to replace them. I had just assumed I would replace them with new Trojans, but I've discovered there isnt a Trojan dealer within 100 miles of where I live.

So.....if I decide not to drive the 100+ miles to buy the Trojans, what is another good brand. I want something good that will last. I really would like gel or maint. free batteries if possible.

I know nothing about quality battery brands. I understand that Trojan is supposedly one of the best, but what are some other good ones? Optima, Interstate?

Thanks
skm2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
redriderno22
let it SNOW

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Questions

make the drive

it will be worth it

gel bats are expensive and hard to find
redriderno22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Call the dealer and tell him you would like to buy 6 new trojan batteries but would he consider a discount due to your long drive. If he says no--Go ahead and drive the 100 miles. Don't go for cheap. Good Gels will average at least $50/60 more with top of the line running at $200 per.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Don't think you would want to use gel batteries, they take special charging requirements to prevent the gel from drying out and cracking. Once that happens they are toast and it happens very easily. Not too mention they just will not last near as long as Flooded Lead Acid.
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Would agree that Gels take a slower charging rate than Lead-Acid. Most chargers can be modified to charge slower. I would disagree that they won't last as long. Most Lead Acids conk out due to improper mntce. With the Gels this is a non-issue. They appear to last as long or longer than the lead acid as well.The Lead acid Battery has been around for 100+years but the newer Gels are a good fit for any use provided you want to pay the additional cost. If they are good enough for NASA(where price is no object) they are good enough for me (where price is an object). I have 6X12v Gels in my Gem Car with modified on-board charger. What a treat to look in that battery compartment and see everything clean and dry.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #6
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcannow View Post
Would agree that Gels take a slower charging rate than Lead-Acid. Most chargers can be modified to charge slower.
Not only slower rate of C/20, but also lower voltage of 2/10 ths of a volt per cell or 3.6 volts lower in a 36 volt system and 4.8 in a 48 volt system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcannow View Post
If they are good enough for NASA, they are good enough for me (where price is an object). I have 6X12v Gels in my Gem Car with modified on-board charger. What a treat to look in that battery compartment and see everything clean and dry.
The only advantage of Gel Cells is that it is impossible to spill acid even if the case is ruptured or installed in positions other than up right like upside down.. That is why NASA and aircraft use them.

If you are going to spend that kind of money, then AGM would be the choice as they have the advantages of a gel, but none of the disadvantages.
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car