lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #1
wbarstow4
Not Yet Wild

Default G22 increase in speed

So my cart goes 15mph, 20" tires new batteries. Everything else stock. If I upgrade the speed controller to a 600amp will that boost the speed?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
wbarstow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2019, 02:27 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G22 increase in speed

If you actually allowed access of 600a to your stock motor, it would kill the stock motor. Allow me to explain a little further. The controller is not a "pump", capable of pumping 600a into a motor, think of it like a Valve, allowing access to the battery power available, which is contingent on voltage available, roughly 48 in your case. Your motor can only draw so much amps (which varies on current motor rpm, it draws max amps when it's at 0 rpm, and tapers back as rpm increases). This is where the folks who sell controllers get you. If your motor can only use 400a at 0rpm, they can't "pump" 600a into it at 48v "your battery pack". And many stock motors would not live a long & happy life if fed their maximum amps every time you mash the pedal. Amps does not equal speed, it equals torque when "mashing the gas" from a standstill. Don't buy the sales pitch, your stock motor doesn't need, or want 600a. Very few motors I have used can even draw 600a (and no stock motors can at 36v or 48v).

Now that I let you have that, let's get to it. Does your G22 have a Hitachi motor? A GE motor? A ADC motor? It does matter for your upgrade path, and best, and cheapest options. Some can be speed up to 19mph by the dealer (it's not free, they have to buy the unique code from yamaha). Only certain ones can be speed up by the dealer cheaply. A new controller can get you faster speeds than the dealer can get, are you considering the dealer speed route (how fast do you need).The fastest motor amongst them could get you 24mph on stock sized tires (the GE motor is the fastest).. Do you plan on keeping that tire size? The stock motors won't get you to 25 or above, no matter what option you choose on 48v. Skip the high speed gears idea, it's really hard on the stock motor and controller. I have seen brand new carts have problems in only a few years with gears. (Not saying I haven't seen them last longer, I do still see them "still going"). I try to avoid that gear route, and when I have to, I use 10.5:1 gears, closer to the stock ratio. No 8:1, and no 6:1 gears.

Best bet, if 19 to 24 mph will suit your needs, go with dealer speed code, or a better motor controller. Don't do the high speed gears. Gears sound cheap, until you see their hills problems, and reduced parts life problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:21 AM   #3
wbarstow4
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! I'll check the motor, I'm not sure what kind it is.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
wbarstow4
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If you actually allowed access of 600a to your stock motor, it would kill the stock motor. Allow me to explain a little further. The controller is not a "pump", capable of pumping 600a into a motor, think of it like a Valve, allowing access to the battery power available, which is contingent on voltage available, roughly 48 in your case. Your motor can only draw so much amps (which varies on current motor rpm, it draws max amps when it's at 0 rpm, and tapers back as rpm increases). This is where the folks who sell controllers get you. If your motor can only use 400a at 0rpm, they can't "pump" 600a into it at 48v "your battery pack". And many stock motors would not live a long & happy life if fed their maximum amps every time you mash the pedal. Amps does not equal speed, it equals torque when "mashing the gas" from a standstill. Don't buy the sales pitch, your stock motor doesn't need, or want 600a. Very few motors I have used can even draw 600a (and no stock motors can at 36v or 48v).

Now that I let you have that, let's get to it. Does your G22 have a Hitachi motor? A GE motor? A ADC motor? It does matter for your upgrade path, and best, and cheapest options. Some can be speed up to 19mph by the dealer (it's not free, they have to buy the unique code from yamaha). Only certain ones can be speed up by the dealer cheaply. A new controller can get you faster speeds than the dealer can get, are you considering the dealer speed route (how fast do you need).The fastest motor amongst them could get you 24mph on stock sized tires (the GE motor is the fastest).. Do you plan on keeping that tire size? The stock motors won't get you to 25 or above, no matter what option you choose on 48v. Skip the high speed gears idea, it's really hard on the stock motor and controller. I have seen brand new carts have problems in only a few years with gears. (Not saying I haven't seen them last longer, I do still see them "still going"). I try to avoid that gear route, and when I have to, I use 10.5:1 gears, closer to the stock ratio. No 8:1, and no 6:1 gears.

Best bet, if 19 to 24 mph will suit your needs, go with dealer speed code, or a better motor controller. Don't do the high speed gears. Gears sound cheap, until you see their hills problems, and reduced parts life problem.
Here is the motor. I don't know what kind it is though from this. No other markings.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Hitachi
Old 04-27-2019, 10:16 PM   #6
wbarstow4
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! So speed code or not?

Old 04-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Speed code IS available for G22 with Hitachi.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
Dmax5714
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was concittering buying a cart but I have to be able to beat my buddy’s rxv it’s a town cart only used on the street with no hills. He claims he can do 30 how easy it is for the Yamaha carts to reach those speeds ... will a gasser even compete. I was looking at plowmans stuff and looks like a new controller and motor is the only option to hit those speeds.
Dmax5714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #9
wbarstow4
Not Yet Wild

Unless he is running 30' tires he's not getting 30mph.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarstow4 View Post
Unless he is running 30' tires he's not getting 30mph.

That's just plain not true. I can make a totally stock "Curtis" Rxv do 27mph on stock 18-8 tires (just software tuning in controller, no high speed gears). Just about any street size tire/wheel combo would put you in the neighborhood of 30, no monster tires needed.

What size tires on that Yamaha you want to beat Rxvs with?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha