lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-10-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
Krisi313
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Red face Ez-Go Solenoid 36 or 48?

Are there problems that can occur with a 36 volt solenoid with 48 volt battery system?
My cart was clicking but not running. I sent it to a local repair shop and $1800 later , with new batteries and repairs done , she lasted a whole two weeks. Decided to trouble shoot myself and just noticed on the solenoid it says 36v. I did read somewhere that it is possible to use a 36v but I’m wondering could there be potential problems with this?
Krisi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-10-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ez-Go Solenoid 36 or 48?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisi313 View Post
Are there problems that can occur with a 36 volt solenoid with 48 volt battery system?
My cart was clicking but not running. I sent it to a local repair shop and $1800 later , with new batteries and repairs done , she lasted a whole two weeks. Decided to trouble shoot myself and just noticed on the solenoid it says 36v. I did read somewhere that it is possible to use a 36v but I’m wondering could there be potential problems with this?
It depends upon the model number of the controller and whether its stock voltage parameter has been changed. Older RXVs used a solenoid with a 36 volt coil, while newer RXVs use a solenoid with a 48 volt coil. You must use the proper coil voltage solenoid that your controller uses, otherwise it can malfunction and/or damage the solenoid/controller
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:36 PM   #3
rambis1991
Not Yet Wild

for certain solenoid makes, I was told that the properly sized resistor is the only difference for 36v and 48v solenoids.
rambis1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Some solenoids are built with what I call dual voltage coils. These solenoids have a coil voltage range which covers both 36 and 48 volts. Generally speaking dual stage coils handle under voltage better than single stage, And a solenoid coil will tolerate under voltage better (longer) than over voltage. So in the case where the 36v solenoid is seeing 48v at the coil activation then this will shorten the useful life. Also where the coil is constantly on such as in a miswired activation circuit (key powered) where the coil is left engaged overnight, this coil will fail regardless of the voltage.
There is a way to run a 36v solenoid in a 48v system by seeing the coil receives 32-40v max.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical trouble, ez-go
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO