lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2007, 04:48 AM   #1
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Rear end gear oil

How much gear oil do you put in the rear end of a 04 electric ez-go?
tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

Default Re: Rear end gear oil

I think you get the axle back at the same angle it was sitting at while in the cart and fill it until it runs out the fill hole. The Yamaha rear ends hold 300cc. A beer bottle is 12oz, which is ~350ml (350cc). That could be a method of measuring it if you aren't ready to mount it back up yet.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have to paint it first but it will be hard filling it in its normal position being that that filler hole is facing towards the ground LOL
Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
ruredy
Born Wild

There seems to be some confusion about how much oil should be in that rear end. I know its 10 ounces of SAE30w oil for the ones that have the angle check/fill plug, but it is also listed as 40oz in some of the books for the straight up and down check/fill plug. I was thinking I was told the 40oz is wrong but I don't know for sure. I guess the easy way would be to fill it up till oil comes out the the check/fill hole. They call for changing the oil after 5 years and checking it every 300 hrs.

ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Ruredy...whats your thoughts on Full Synthetic gear oil? I have used it in 3 different carts and I haven't seen any ill effects yet.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

I use 15w50 Mobil 1 extended performance for gear oil in my carts. I believe its a smart thing to do. I don't tell others to use it because it calls for straight 30 weight oil and if something should happen I don't want to get blamed for tearing up someones rear end. I believe all dino oils should be replaced with synthetic oil. I do this in every thing I run and have never had it tear up a engine or rear end. I have only had one problem of a small leak develope in a very used engine I switched over, this was not unexpected because the synthetic has smaller molecules than dino oil. I will not switch over a engine if it leaks or burns oil, just seems pointless to do that. Synthetic oils are much better than dino oils and using them will extend the life of the machine.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
jus_crzn
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just changed the diff oil in my 2001 ezgo, and it took about 7oz of oil. The diff should be the same as a 2004. I called 2 ezgo dealers, and they told me they use gear oil. I used 75w90 synthetic $10bucks a botle. I did not take the pan off so a little oil may have remained in the diff. I used a surringe to suck the oil out. I flushed it 2 times untill the oil was clean.
jus_crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #8
ruredy
Born Wild

The newer cart rear ends that have helical gears are designed to use lighter weight oils, not gear lube. The only way the upper gears in the rear get oil is for the oil to climb or get slung up to them. the heaver oils/lube will not properly lube the upper gears. With that said, many poeple use the heavy gear lube in their carts and have had no problems also the synthetic oils will propagate much better than dino gear lube/oils will. While I might consider using gear lube in a electric cart rear end, I would never use it in a gas cart rear end (more gears to screw up) The Ezgo manual calls for SAE 30w gear oil in these rear ends.... now if you try to find 30w gear oil, you'll be looking a long time. Thats because its just regular SAE 30w non-detergent oil. The non-detergent oils are made to trap metal particles in the form of sludge at the bottom of the casing. An OLD-school rule of thumb is, if it has a filter use detergent oil, if it doesn't have a filter use non-detergent oils. Now-a-days nobody cares or really remembers the differences.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
jus_crzn
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have the manuals, and your right. It dose call for 30wt non-detergent oil. Its easy to find at canadian tire. $2.50 per liter. By the way my cart is electric. I just could not bring myself to use the cheapest oil there is. Thats why I started calling around to see what the dealers are using, 2 of them told me gear oil? After the oil change it did seem to be a bit more quiet.
No performance differance. All I am looking for is the maximum protection of the rear end. By the way great info about the diff between the oils. Thanks

Last edited by jus_crzn; 08-19-2007 at 12:50 PM..
jus_crzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

little lucas gear oil did the trick!!! thanks all
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO