lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
BLTCushman
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha g2 Speed Cart ~$2000

Hello,

New to BGW. I have 2 carts. 70's Cushman for a classic rebuild. I now also want to build a speed cart of 30 mph plus. I have a Yamaha G2 J56 36v. I have a budget for new batteries, charger, controller, cables, solenoidd, etc. I need to be convinced of gears, tires or other as part of stage 1. I am thinking Alltrax SPM-48500, 48v Deka (6,8 or 12 depending on room), HD solenoid, 2g cables. F/R switch. Thoughts? What am I missing? Not sure of final speed? Thx.
BLTCushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha g2 Speed Cart ~$2000

With stock sized tires and stock motor, you will not see 30+ mph with your current formula. If you added a clubcar style "raptor" motor to your current formula (early yamaha electric used same style motor as clubcar), you would see speeds of 30+ mph with Plenty of torque for most needs. You did not specify how you intend to use it, the "raptor" is a high speed "street use" motor not designed for offroad use with big offroad tires.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
BLTCushman
Not Yet Wild

Cgtech, Thank you for the quick reply. I see you have an active presence and would appreciate your advice on what I need to change to get to 30mph on a G2. My intention for use is 2 fold. 4 seater supplemental 18hole golf cart to our 2 EZ-GOs by day. (We have needs of 4-5 carts due to family size). Show off at night. If I have to regear, larger tires/wheels and or new motor. Ok. Hoping I didn't have to shell out for a motor. If thought a G2 with a series motor cold take the voltage/amperage and get me there. I have not studied the motor and That's what I'm missing. If i should change plans I would appreciate suggestions with the G2. 80% speed 20% golf.

V=IR. P=I^2R. Thx.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
BLTCushman
Not Yet Wild

FYI. Cart is free. Cost is for upgrades. I like Yamahas. Trustworthy. Steel frame. Coil over independent front and no leaf springs in the back make sense to me as an engineer. Unsure about a sepex. Can't afford AC. Want meat and potatoes with a computer.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:11 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

Your program in mind would work fine without "regear" to high speed gears, if you follow my advice. I always try to find a way to avold high speed gears if possible, you are almost there, but skip gears and go Motor instead. Dont go "sepex" for this build. Totally dont go AC this time unless you have some grudge to settle and a pile of cash to win it
Old 08-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
BLTCushman
Not Yet Wild

Cgtech, Can you provide more information or links as to what motor I have, options and websites for new motors. Suppliers? Models? Who's good. Who's bad. What is the difference? What do I need to read up on? Thx
Old 08-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Your stock motor was only designed to send your cart to 12-15mph. Switching to 48v adds 33% more voltage, speed and torque scales an equal amount (33% more), nowhere near the 30mph you are looking for. The motor i suggested is a GE motor sold by Nivel as the "raptor". There are other choices out there, but i suggested that one because i have done what you are wanting, and can vouch for the results.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
BLTCushman
Not Yet Wild

Thank you. I will take time to research the motor. I appreciate your advice.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

You will be looking for the "10-spline clubcar" style, NOT the "19-spline dana" style. I know you dont have a clubcar, but, in those days, the motor mounting & coupler were the same.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
BLTCushman
Not Yet Wild

Cgtech. I have not abandoned my project but it was delayed. As I am restarting this effort I have spent more times on the forum. In regards to my project I have a few questions.

How do the FLA batteries handle 500 amp draws with out overheating or other damage? When I slam the throttle does the peak quickly fall as I would come up to speed and steady out at the amperage needed for the torque to maintain the speed?

Why 400 amp controller vs a 500 or 600 etc?

What is your opinion of the PQ vs DD vs GE high speed motors? Are they all equal? I know you recommended the Raptor but curious as to why?

thx
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha