lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
atdelane
Not Yet Wild

Default Options for OBC replacement or bypass

Please bear with me, I know enough about golf carts to be dangerous.. Just purchased a 2005 Club 48 volt, replaced 2 bad batteries, and it runs like a dream. However, the old Powerdrive 2 charger never shut off, stayed at 4-5 amps. So I bought a new charger, Lester 26610-21 - and surprise, it does the same thing. I do believe that I have eliminated a bad battery problem, as after 12 hours full charge, total is still 51.4 - When on charger, after setting at 4-5 amps for couple of hours, the batteries range from 10.17 to 10.73, close to point of being overcharged?? After reading multiple threads and other informational sites, I am guessing the OBC is faulty. Any other diagnosis??
I tried the OBC reset twice, followed the steps exactly, but the reverse buzzer never sounded, even though it works normally. So my question to all you fine folks, what are my options? If I bypass the OBC, can I still use this new charger, or the older one? Or should I have OBC replaced?
atdelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Options for OBC replacement or bypass

Charger could run for at least 10 /14 hours. Make sure you let it run to shut -off. Charger volts could go as high as 62+ .
Hecky50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #3
atdelane
Not Yet Wild

Ok, when I did this this morning, and before I unplugged charger, the total was 62.2 - now just how much charge can they take safely?
Old 04-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Did you let it finish on its own??
Old 04-11-2016, 07:32 AM   #5
atdelane
Not Yet Wild

No, was afraid it wouldn't shut off... will charge again and see what happens.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have seen them go a bit higher... reports of 65 and even 67v. Make sure to check water levels in all cells before you start the next charge.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've been thinking. How can you test the charging SCR to see if it is shorted. This is what I came up with. In order for the OBC to turn on and charge the battery it needs power. Start by removing the large positive cable from the battery, leave the small red connected. Run/tow to tow. Plug the charger in to the cart. If it starts to charge, the SCR is shorted so replace the OBC. If it doesn't charge the OBC is good. Well the charge SCR is good anyway, there may be other things wrong with the OBC
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
atdelane
Not Yet Wild

I put it back on charger, and though it took several more hours, it did finally shut off. Thanks to all of you!!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
Hecky50
Gone Wild
Club Car

scottyb, just installed some new T-875 about a month ago. Today after a good run the charger (PWR dr2) went as high as 66 volts after about 5 hours. never seen it go that high ever.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car