lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
jgoodrich
Not Yet Wild

Red face 2009 EZGO RXV Brake wont release when in tow. how is the process for manually release

How do I release my brake that is sticking when running causing a burning electrical smell and slowing down my cart. I can tell the brake is stuck but it moves when in reverse and forward. But when I turn off and flip switch under seat to TOW and then turn ignition switch to N the cart is locked and wont roll.
How Can I fix this? I have taken it in several times and the last time they said they fixed it by upgrading the software. But now its stuck and I do not see a handle or bar on end of motor to manually release the brake. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is there a Brake Release Procedure? If so please explain how i do that.
Thank You,
John
jgoodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 EZGO RXV Brake wont release when in tow. how is the process for manually rel

An accounting of your drive line would help. Is it stock, some parts modified/upgraded and others not? Do you have an aftermarket controller, (doesn't sound like it)?
And last but certainly not least, just what year and model cart are we talking about?

Base upon the information you have provided, I'm going to take a guess and say it's and RXV. If that's the case, maybe this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQnVFKiterw
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
jgoodrich
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2009 EZGO RXV Brake wont release when in tow. how is the process for manually rel

Sorry I thought i put the year and model in subject but its a
2009 EZGO 48V RXV. Nothing after market in motor or controller.
It does have big tires and mags but it ran fine when i bought it.
We did have a problem with it just cutting out after running at first and then you had to turn off wait and turn back on and it would run again and I took it in and they upraded the controller software. It ran fine for a while and now it seems some how the brake is sticking/dragging when running and it will not roll when placed in TOW mode.
And when i turn ignition to forward it goes but i can hear the brake sounding like it is still slightly engaged and rubbing which creates a bad smell like almost electrical when we ran it.
I tried to put it in Neutral and I hear a click and a click on off. I read that I needed to have on RUN and from off position on switch turn to N and then lift seat and flip toggle switch to TOW and it should be in neutral and ROLL freely but it does not.
I do not see a manual brake release on motor either so I am stumped on how to manually release the brake.
Thanx
John
Old 12-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

jgoodrich, Welcome to BGW!

Your RXV is about to lock up entirely from a damaged motor brake. Yours is exhibiting the same symptoms ours did a week before this thread:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-disabled.html

The fix is easy, and ours has been trouble free ever since.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you are mechanically inclined, the fix is in the you tube video I posted. If not, take it to a reputable service person. That does not necessarily mean the shop you bought it from.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:10 AM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yep, motor brake is toast. Follow the instructions here to replace it your self. Or have a EZ-GO dealer do it. The install procedure is important to do it right, or it will fail again. Look at my threads, or HighTechRedneck's threads to do it right (if you wanna do it yourself, i would follow our ideas if your local dealer is not a EZ-GO factory dealer). Its very easy to do it wrong if you (or the shop) doesnt know how to do it properly.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
jgoodrich
Not Yet Wild

OK I will definitely watch the videos!!
So you are for sure its toast?
There is no way to manually release the brake?
I looked at the manual EZGO RXV 2009 midyear and up pg 7 Under Brakes and Tow
and it was saying something about looking under controller cover and there is supposed to be instructions on unpluging the primary and attach auxillary, which is supposed to release the brake but i do not see any instructions under plate.
This was the instructions on how to get the RXV to Get the Cart to roll whenRun/Tow switch is in Tow and key is turned to N
My cart wont roll when in Tow....is stays the same as when off or in gear.
Ideas? Thoughts?
Finally, if for some reason there is not a way to manually release it...your telling me that i am going to need to simply replace motor brake which I have already watched in video?

Will replacing the motor brake also fix the problem of being locked up when trying to place cart in TOW mode? Key turned to N then switch Toggle switch to TOW is done?
What do these cost?? Are there any good after markets for less?
Where can i get a good one? Suggestion?
Thank you!!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The motor brake was a big issue with the early RXV's. So, yes, replacing the motor brake, (PROPERLY) should solve your issues. I say should because it sounds like the dealer has done some things that may change the end result. Bottom line here is, your dealer/mechanic should have known about these issues with the 08 and 09 RXV's. Had they paid attention, you wouldn't have had to take it in more than once.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
jgoodrich
Not Yet Wild

AGREED!
So when you say Properly, what are the common donts when installing the motor brake?
Thank You~
Old 12-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoodrich View Post
AGREED!
So when you say Properly, what are the common donts when installing the motor brake?
Thank You~
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Put cart on flat ground, chock wheels (both of these are very important). Tow position, key OFF, leave batteries hooked-up (you will need power during re-install). Unplug brake, remove 3x 10mm bolts on brake. Remove brake. Clean mounting surface on motor. Hang new brake on armature, push cart just slightly to point plug towards top to line up bolt holes. Start all three bolts (just barely). Plug brake in, put cart in neutral (this should unlock brake, dont let cart roll away). Tighten bolts evenly to 10-13 INCH POUNDS, if you dont have a inch-torque wrench, tighten the bolts enough to fully compress the lock washers, not much more.. Turn key off, tow/run back to run, turn key on, test drive, celebrate with beer.
Worked for me!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO