lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #1
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Lightbulb Diesel Powered EZGO Workhorse

OK, I'm all about mixing up crap that one throws away and making a project out of it. I just obtained a tri-plex greens mower with a 3cyl Kubota Turbo Diesel in it. My machine shop guy says he can make a shaft for the flywheel that'll except the factory EZGO clutch. I measured everything, the engine itself will fit and the clutch will line up.

Anyway, the Kubota runs at a governed 3,200 RPM and the Robin 350cc does what it does now... lol. (I'm guessing it's more then 3,200rpm.)

Will I have enough RPM to spin the stock clutch fast enough to make it all work.
I'm not looking for speed, it's all about pulling power and sound..
I'm thinkin' that with added torque in the engine that maybe ground speed won't effect the RPM's as much as it does now. As of now, the little 350cc gets to a hill, slows to about 7-8mph (from 12mph) then revs up real hard to hold that slower speed. It does hold the speed regardless of what I'm pulling. (avg of 1k-1500#)
My brain storm with the diesel is that the RPM's may not drop as much because of the extra torque and the turbocharger.

Maybe you guys can help with the factors that I'm overlooking.

I have for parts:
Cushman Truckster complete drive train (10-bolt posi-rear)
All the Hydrolics from the mower work and are all there. (pumps, motors etc..)
2-Stroke EZGO 1988 (runs and drives)
Madman415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Diesel Powered EZGO Workhorse

So your gonna put the kobota in your 4 cycle ezgo? the 350.

It should all work.. You should go with a comet 1190 clutch but you could experiment with the ezgo.. the thing with the comet is that its fully tunable, and you can tune it to work perfectly with the diesel

Check out these vids.

after seeing these, i would love to one day build a diesel cart with that kobota engine.. The black smoke was the cherry on top
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Now that's cool. The Diesel I have is a D77?E. The tag says 28HP if I remember correctly. You have definitely put more thought and $$ then I have. Now I gotta new plan.

Can you tell me where you got that intake, radiator, where do ya buy that clutch, any info on the parts besides the engine would be awesome.

Is the pulling power great and how fast ya think it goes?
Was it worth the time and $$?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Some one is selling a Lombardi single cylinder diesel on Craigslist near here.

It looks pretty rough.. but the one you're talking about, is a
nice motor. If you can get it rigged, it will pull.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is the Engine Donor, it has 2000 hrs on it. and my cart pulling a 1993 Dodge Shadow before the lift and other minor engine mods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1699.jpg (151.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0646.jpg (134.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman415 View Post
Now that's cool. The Diesel I have is a D77?E. The tag says 28HP if I remember correctly. You have definitely put more thought and $$ then I have. Now I gotta new plan.

Can you tell me where you got that intake, radiator, where do ya buy that clutch, any info on the parts besides the engine would be awesome.

Is the pulling power great and how fast ya think it goes?
Was it worth the time and $$?
Oh no no, that isnt my cart. lol one of these days ill love to build one if a diesel happens to fall into my lap. But i can give you some detials on the one in the vid.. and what you would need to do to get yours running.

That rad you can see in the video is just an intake intercooler. because it seems like that motor is running with a different external turbo, and seems like some injector upgrades or something. they just put it on as part of the whole upgrade package.. How is your engine setup with the turbo and such?

Now the clutch.. I gurrante that if you spend the $$ on the 1190, it will make your whole project work the way it should

If your good with fabbing and welding.. this might be the only part you will need to buy! http://www.cartpartsplus.com/comet-1190-clutch.html cart parts plus is a sponsor on here. You just need a 1 1/8" straight keyed shaft for this one to work.. your engine might alreay have that on it? seeing it was used in a tractor alreay.

Speed wize, you should beable to go atleast the same as you are now as far as top end goes. 15mph should be attainable no prob.. you just dont want to over rev the diesel. The benifit to the 1190 clutch is that its supposed to be a bit larger, and can give you a lower top end ratio for more speed.. thats why big block conversions can reach 30-40mph by using this clutch, with the engine at a slightly higher then factory rpm.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The turbo is between the manifold and the muffler with the intake tube, (boring black) to the intake. There is an oil line and a coolant line to the Turbo. I'll send pics once I get the engine out and you can actually see it.

Also, I looked at that 1190 clutch. It's priced right for my budget. I'm searching for a tach off of anything that had a Kubota Diesel in it to make sure the governor is set in the safe zone.

If I find another Diesel, I'll be sure to hook you up. The same golf course has an old Turf-cat out-front mower that just blew the main pump and has a hole in the hydrolic tank. It may become another donor. It also has about 2000hrs on it. They just replaced it with a $35k John Deere.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The turbo is between the manifold and the muffler with the intake tube, (boring black) to the intake. There is an oil line and a coolant line to the Turbo. I'll send pics once I get the engine out and you can actually see it.

Also, I looked at that 1190 clutch. It's priced right for my budget. I'm searching for a tach off of anything that had a Kubota Diesel in it to make sure the governor is set in the safe zone.

If I find another Diesel, I'll be sure to hook you up. The same golf course has an old Turf-cat out-front mower that just blew the main pump and has a hole in the hydrolic tank. It may become another donor. It also has about 2000hrs on it. They just replaced it with a $35k John Deere.

Quote:
I'm searching for a tach off of anything that had a Kubota Diesel in it to make sure the governor is set in the safe zone.
Now that you mention tach.. it got me thinkin.. lol how would that work on a diesel.. without spark or anything.

There must be some type of crank position sensor or something. If it does, and pulses ever rev. you could look into the equus 8068 tach. its programmable to 1-12cyl 4 stroke, but you could set it to pluse every rev ( ie 2cylnder mode, (1 spark every rev) ) and it could theoreticly work.

Right now on my sparky cart. im working on a rotating shaft on the opposite side of the motor with a rotating magnet that would pass a reed switch, wich i can then use the 8068 to give me the electric motor rpm they are a great tach.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #9
Madman415
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

from my experience with Diesel engines, there is a crank position sensor and you set the timing by the fuel pump as you would a distributor. It has letters on the pump pulley, A B C and each engine app. uses different letter positions, same pump for many engines.

Some people just readjust the pump to get more fuel and end up wasting fuel just to get black smoke. As cool as that looks, it just means it's getting more fuel then the cylinder can burn.

Anyway, that's why I was looking into another mower tach cause it's hard to find stuff like that for 3cyl. I'm not sure if the 3cyl pistons come up 2 at a time then one or what the configuration is. I'll know soon enough.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
Kidder
Gone Wild

Club Car

Black smoke isnt always just to put on a show. I had a 12v cummins project a few years ago with twins. I dont care how hard you try your going to have lag when making power. It used to smoke like all hell until your boost caught up with the fuel.
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!