lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2021, 08:30 PM   #1
Jbrowne479
Not Yet Wild

Default 16hp duromax rockers

just finished up my 16hp clone swap in my g9. noticed this engine has alot of valvetrain noise. My question is, will the champion rocker arms quiet it down enough or should i spring for the NR racing billet steel shaft mount roller rockers? what all is needed to run either of these? different push rods, guide plate etc?
Jbrowne479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 16hp duromax rockers

The shaft mounted units in either case do not use a guide plate. The billet units of course are quieter. Again both the shaft mounted units require longer push rods. At the end of the day the billet units are close times to 10x the cost of the champions and require some way to clear the rocker cover AND may not be in stock anywhere at the present . My cart has the billet units and my generators are all champion fitted. You chose
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Almost all clones have that valvetrain chatter. Most of it comes from the resonance due to using cheap metals in the rockers. Better rockers will be quieter. I have a Honda GX390 and it doesn't have the chatter. I also have a generator with a Carol Stream engine and it's fairly quiet. On the other hand, I had a VC440/460 that was noisy no matter what I did, and I had a Predator clone and it was noisy as well. I think it really depends on the engine, how it's setup, and how good the parts are. Those rockers and pushrods take a beating and that's a lot of vibration going on. A better design with thicker metal, better quality metal, etc will always benefit. I also think the rocker cover can contribute with sound echoing. A better design rocker cover can help dampen the noise a bit. Another thing is that with a higher lift cam you are subjecting the valvetrain to even higher pressures, so the sound can intensify.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I have the cast aluminum rocker cover on the VC 460 from small town speed. It clears the billet rockers and dampens the valve train noise. I see there is stock on E Bay BUT in these times it costs $100. Pics on pages #2 and 5 of my Vc 460 build.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #5
Jbrowne479
Not Yet Wild

gonna give the champion rockers and cast rocker cover a go. I will report back once i get them installed.

thank you to all who replied.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:07 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Good luck!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I see NRracing finally got their billet steel shaft mounted units back in stock.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #8
Jbrowne479
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
I see NRracing finally got their billet steel shaft mounted units back in stock.
seen that too! crazy concept, i clicked on the champion rockers and the shaft mounted billet ones showed up (atleast thats what I'm telling the wife)

i bought the billet head, shaft mount 1.2 rockers and the cut to length push rods.

Any tips or tricks for cutting and assembling the push rods??
Old 05-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Why didn't you go for the 1.3's if spending for the better units ? The question of the push rods is measure carefully. I measured and Russell Thompson who owned NR at that time made my set up.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:35 AM   #10
Jbrowne479
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Why didn't you go for the 1.3's if spending for the better units ? The question of the push rods is measure carefully. I measured and Russell Thompson who owned NR at that time made my set up.
wasn't looking for all out performance, my kids drive my cart more than i do haha. probably will regret not getting the 1.3s... time will tell.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps