lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #1
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default VC625 stalls out at full throttle

Cart starts right up, idles fine and runs good until I mash the throttle and it takes right off but then stalls. Am I flooding it or is it running out of fuel? It starts right back up. Just started doing this. If I ease into the throttle to full throttle sometimes it will stay running but other times it will stall out. Carb, fuel pump? I did buy the kit to be able to adjust the carb back when I did the build and it's always run good.
Shieldzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: VC625 stalls out at full throttle

My guess would be flooding, but it's just a guess. Try backing off your idle air screws 1/4 turn at a time and see if there is any change. You can also adjust the other way to check for lean condition, although lean usually sounds very "poppy".

Also check your plugs. If they are black, change them out or clean them really well. Carbon fouling can make the engine run terrible. If you are using the factory Torch plugs, ditch those and get something better. I switched to NGK double platinums and it has been much better. Some have used other plugs, but most agree the stock Torch plugs are trash.

Another issue with these engines is the stock fuel pump. I had issues with mine not filling the float bowl. I switched it out to a Briggs unit and solved that issue.

Unfortunately these carbs were never designed to be super responsive like you would see in a motorcycle or atv. These carbs were designed to run at 3600 rpm constantly. That doesn't mean you can't get them dialed in, it just means you are going against the grain by expecting them to be "performance" carbs.

You can convert that carb to a Mikuni fairly easily. These carbs will perform much better at variable throttle positions and fulls stabs to WOT. They still need tuned properly, but they are made for performance and will give much better response.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I’d very interested in doing a Mikuni conversion. Is there any write ups on here as to the parts and or part numbers needed? Thanks for your input, I’ll check the things you mentioned.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I don't have a VC 625 BUT I do have a pretty heavily modded VC 460 with a 625 carb on it. Granted mine has an adjustable main jet plus a Shepard modded idle jet circuit. BUT this combo with it's 3 circuit system can easily be tuned to perfection in a few minutes. I can jump on the throttle from any RPM or load condition and there is instant response from my 1000 rpm idle to my self imposed 5600 rpm read line. A couple of other notes. I have found my clear glass fuel filter needs to stay full under any conditions. I had to use a return fuel line with a restriction. Every fuel pump I tried including the B&S Vanguard Mikuni pump failed at some point. I am now using the Holley Mighty mite 12-426 electric pump in both carts. That has been in my sled powered HD cart for 3 seasons and just this season on my VC 460 Yamaha G 14 after the B&S pump failed early this season. In all fairness my cart gets used 60-80 hours every season and both have high red lines.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldzee View Post
I’d very interested in doing a Mikuni conversion. Is there any write ups on here as to the parts and or part numbers needed? Thanks for your input, I’ll check the things you mentioned.
I did one on my Vanguard 23hp Vtwin, very similar. I used a kit from Backwater Performance, it was a 34mm VM style Mikuni.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=156542

For the 670 there is a kit available. It's very similar to the kit I used, but I've never used it. There might be someone here that has. It's available from Performance 670

https://www.performance670.com/produ...ikuni-carb-kit
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 AM   #6
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

When I installed my 625, my pump was flooding the float bowl at idle. I fixed that with a return line to the tank. After I got that taken care of, I had the same issues as you on wide open throttle. I fixed this with a adjustable main jet and watching the plugs. Carb was overfueling at high RPM with stock jets. The adjustable jet gave me the ability to limit fuel at high rpm and I used the plug to dial that in.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #7
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys. I have the adjustable main jet but not the idle screw. It’s been run a lot and hard at times. Original plug still so I’ll check that and play with the adjustment on main jet and see what happens. Have any of you used the e3 spark plug in the VC625?
Old 04-21-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Again I don't have a VC 625 BUT my modded VC 460 showed a noticeable power increase with the Autolite Racing AR 3910X. Some of the pro engine builders found a 1/2- 1 HP increase on the dyno using this plug. I have A-B ed it several times with the NKG plug and the result was very noticeable. A pretty cheap power increase for less than $10. You might also want to look at Vegascarts technical blog "carb tuning 101" by Geoff Warner where he describes enlarging the idle jet.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:08 PM   #9
sliding
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldzee View Post
Cart starts right up, idles fine and runs good until I mash the throttle and it takes right off but then stalls. Am I flooding it or is it running out of fuel? It starts right back up. Just started doing this. If I ease into the throttle to full throttle sometimes it will stay running but other times it will stall out. Carb, fuel pump? I did buy the kit to be able to adjust the carb back when I did the build and it's always run good.
You mention it used to run fine.First try a new spark plug No one has suggested removing the carb stripping and cleaning it properly. It may just have a partial blockage. Then I wouldn’t be checking the fuel pump and pump vacuum feed line.

When I repair something that previously ran properly I try to find the fault before carrying out a series of random modifications. It saves my customers a lot of money.
sliding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #10
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

What Mikuni carb would best suit the VC625? I’ve tried everything and it either won’t start or idle or floods out at full throttle. I’m about to toss this engine and go to a V-twin. So..... frustrating, this thing ran like a champ until a family gathering and it was ridden all day and probably hard too. Never been right since. 🙁
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!