lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #21
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Reverse Engineering a Home Built Cart

@slonomo, Do you happen to know how far the mounting holes should be below the tube frame in the front?

If not i'm just going to try and eyeball it with a straightedge to the mounting holes in the back,
C3rb3ru5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #22
crash12888
Gone Crazy

The front holes should align with the back ones so you should be able to measure those.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:24 PM   #23
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Crash, The front bar sits higher than the bar the back holes are mounted in. I'll just see if i can get a tube or something to go through the back to mark where to drill up front...

This dang cart better be the bees knees when im done! lol

Hoping to use this to push my woods trail deeper this weekend and setup a campsite for memorial day.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #24
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Once you get it dialed in it will be a nice solid cart.
While you're at it,
If you happen to have the motor out, drill new engine mounting holes in the plate 1/2" forward to give you more low end torque.
Does the same as putting a 1" shorter belt on. Makes the belt start pulling lower in the front clutch like the old Ford granny gear.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:21 PM   #25
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3rb3ru5 View Post
@slonomo, Do you happen to know how far the mounting holes should be below the tube frame in the front?

If not i'm just going to try and eyeball it with a straightedge to the mounting holes in the back,
Sorry had a busy day. I don't have a cart to measure, unfortunately. If you are just fabbing it up to fit, it'll be ok if your bracket is a bit shorter/taller than stock, just compensate with the location of the shocks. When you make the shock brackets, might want to make it so you can try multiple mounting locations. If you are using stock Yami cart shocks you can pretty much mount them so the camber is neutral, it shouldn't sag much with those shocks if they are decent. You "could" make a couple mount points above those in case there is some sag.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #26
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Real progress being made! cut off a lot of crap, unbolted more and spent a lot of time grinding.

New tabs are welded up front and and the arms are hung. That's is for today, but my next challenge is getting the king pins out, any suggestions?

I have the whole assembly soaked in break free at the moment, I even bent a tool steel rod trying to get it out. (I did remove both roll pins)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210514_185402.jpg (272.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #27
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Sorry had a busy day. I don't have a cart to measure, unfortunately. If you are just fabbing it up to fit, it'll be ok if your bracket is a bit shorter/taller than stock, just compensate with the location of the shocks. When you make the shock brackets, might want to make it so you can try multiple mounting locations. If you are using stock Yami cart shocks you can pretty much mount them so the camber is neutral, it shouldn't sag much with those shocks if they are decent. You "could" make a couple mount points above those in case there is some sag.

no worries, it should be fine, nothing a BFH couldn't fix getting the bolts in! it seems pretty level, I drilled the holes in 2 plates, ran rods near the thickness of the bolts through the rear mounting holes and used that to position the tabs and weld em on. (note to self welding is hot and cardboard is flammable)

I have a few options on the top shock mounts. the ones I just put on have a fair bit of adjustment until I drill the second bolt hole. I'll get everything.mocked up, then lock everything down after a few passes.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:03 AM   #28
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

looking good handling is significantly improved as is my clearance.

I'll need to rebuild the kingpins and get different tie rods, but overall way better and I can put it to work this weekend.

only thing left to do today is cut off the brace jimbo added to the front and wire up my lights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210515_114748.jpg (293.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #29
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

on today's installment of Cerberus's wild ride....

Still awaiting new tie rods, but I got everything setup with some I had lying around. New chainsaw arrived and I was too excited to wait. decided I'd bob down the train a bit and clear more of my path.

I'm trying to cut a good path into the woods for a campsite, and on a deadline for memorial day.

ANYWHO. I go out last night and things seem ok, but on the way back my passenger tire bottomed out. thought it was odd, but I was on uneven ground and cut hard right, stuff happens right?

Well today I'm out cutting again and thinking man...this ride is bad. Now mind you I'm out here offroading and not looking for a comfy ride at all just noticed it was far different. I take a took and see this!

bent the shock mounting tab like a pretzel. so word of caution on the 4" lift kits,they don't take a bump at all!

I do have the 6" mounts from another kit. I didn't use em because I'll need to hack away more welded on plates, but you live and learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210521_164329.jpg (149.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-24-2021, 06:00 AM   #30
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Man that really sucks. Not sure what it's supposed to look like, but is that just a single piece of steel holding the shock? All my lift kits always had a double bracket of sorts, not sure of the correct terminology. But something like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg shock mounting tabs.jpeg (17.9 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha