lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
AlakaLazlo
Not Yet Wild

Question G1 Intermittent Forward Starting

I have a G1 That my wife and I use once a year for handicapped festival transportation. Been running great for 11 years...

Last year, it developed a weird problem I'm trying to troubleshoot. When cold, or if it's been sitting for a while, it starts and runs fine, both directions. After driving for a while, and it warms up a bit, it only starts and runs in reverse. In forward, it doesn't turn over at all. After about 20 minutes, it starts and runs fine again.

It seems to be a temperature related issue. As far as I can tell, it can only be 3 things: 1) the key assembly; 2) the starter solenoids; or 3) the starter/generator.

As we really needed the cart to run, I tried 2 temporary repairs at the festival last year. I pulled, disassembled and cleaned out the key assembly which didn't make any difference. (I'm going to replace the switch as the old one is slightly loose anyway.) Then I removed and reversed the solenoids (assuming that if the front one was failing, it would then run forwards normally and be intermittent in reverse). Again, no difference...

So at this point, it appears to me that it must be the starter/generator that has become temperature sensitive and is failing. Only cranks forward when it's cooled down sufficiently.

A) Does this seem correct, or are there any other components that could cause this? Is there a way to make sure that the starter/generator is the actual issue as opposed to something else?

B) I'm inclined to buy a new one and swap it out myself. Looks like a very easy thing to do. Any things to look out for? Can they be rebuilt, or should I just buy a new one?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Al
AlakaLazlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Intermittent Forward Starting

what year is the cart? can you hear the solenoid click? if its not cranking over at all and if i remember correctly you can swap the 2 small wires on the solenoids (spade terminals) and it would should then start in forward and not reverse which would show that the forward solenoid is failing when getting hot

depending on the year of the cart will depend on what version solenoids you have. Its my understanding they are rebuildable but you must desoder the small terminals before disassembly or else you would ruin them making them useless. post a pic of your solenoids so we can see which version you have.

If your on facebook look up the G1 G3 facebook page as there is good info / people on there as well.
mikeasis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you were close I'd offer to lend you a good starter gen to test it out, I have two in my stock pile.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Thinking this one through, there is delay relay mounted near the solenoids. This relay serves to delay the cart from starting for a second or two so that, when switching from forward and reverse, it's less likely to start the cart one way while it's moving in the other. A dumb design if you ask me. Those relays can go bad and stay open when they get heated up. This happened on my G1 in that, when it got heated, the cart wouldn't start after a stopping at a stop sign or something. After a few minutes to cool the cart would start right up again.

The relay can be bypassed by joining the white wires going into and out of it. It won't affect the cart unless you are reckless when changing directions. You may want to give that a try as well? I bypassed the relay on my cart a couple of years ago and it has been fine since (knocking on wood).
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #5
AlakaLazlo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Thinking this one through, there is delay relay mounted near the solenoids. ... Those relays can go bad and stay open when they get heated up. This happened on my G1 in that, when it got heated, the cart wouldn't start after a stopping at a stop sign or something. After a few minutes to cool the cart would start right up again.....
That sounds like what I'me encountering. I will take a look at it this weekend and see if that solves the problem. THANK YOU!!!
Old 02-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
Lochlin
Gone Wild

It could be one of the issues the other fellas mentioned as well. Might as well try the simple and cheap solution first, though.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:30 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Wow good post Lochlin! Hope.thats it. I never knew there was such a device on the G1. Learn something new every day.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #8
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

this relay wasn't added until 82?. I completely forgot about it!
mikeasis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
OgreTX
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Sorry to bring this one back up, but a friend of mine is having a similar problem.

AlakaLazlo, did you ever solve this problem, and if so what did you do?

Thanks,
Ogre
OgreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #10
AlakaLazlo
Not Yet Wild

Because the festival was cancelled last year, I didn't try to fix it. Now I will. There doesn't seem to be a relay, just wires going to the solenoids. Going to buy a new key switch assembly and see if that does it. WLYK

Tags
generator/starter, yamaha g1 gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha