lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
mechanix19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need Help - Cart Won't Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
You can check the battery sense wire for continuity with an Ohmmeter.
Disconnect charger from cart and AC power.
Put one test lead on the third wire in the output cable and the other test lead on the Auxiliary contact in the plug. (See attachment-1)
It should read close to Zero Ohms.

When the plug in inserted in the receptacle. the Auxiliary contact touches the outside of the negative terminal in the receptacle. (See attachment-2)
The negative terminal is the brass object with black wire connected to it.

Poor connection between the Aux. Contact and the outside of the negative terminal is a common problem, so a little cleaning may be all that is needed.
I cleaned and checked the auxiliary and it is connecting fine but it still won't click on. I put in the new single board replacing the two that were in the charger. Maybe I didn't hook it up correctly? Anyone have a picture so I can confirm it's wired right?
mechanix19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is the upgrade instructions, but I'm not to sure if the wiring shown for the new board is correct.
There is a wire labeled "WHT from Relay Pin 3" that may not exist.
Possibly it is for the on-board mounted version of the charger that has an external relay to disable cart when it is on charge.

Post some pictures of the innards of your charger and I can probably tell you if it is wired correctly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Powerwise Combo Board Retrofit.pdf (74.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
mechanix19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Here is the upgrade instructions, but I'm not to sure if the wiring shown for the new board is correct.
There is a wire labeled "WHT from Relay Pin 3" that may not exist.
Possibly it is for the on-board mounted version of the charger that has an external relay to disable cart when it is on charge.

Post some pictures of the innards of your charger and I can probably tell you if it is wired correctly.
Here are a few pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (173.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo(1).jpg (176.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo(2).jpg (178.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

That is wired correctly.

What is the voltage between the black and white wires in the output cable when plugged into cart?

What is the voltage between the two terminals in the cart's charge receptacle?

There are two fuses that can cause the charger not to sense the battery.
One is between the heat sink the diodes are mounted on and the white wire going to the output cable.
The other is under the seat in the cart. It connects the white wire from the charge receptacle to the main positive terminal on battery pack. (This fuse may not exist - some people just connect the white wire to the terminal if it blows.)
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
mechanix19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
That is wired correctly.

What is the voltage between the black and white wires in the output cable when plugged into cart?

What is the voltage between the two terminals in the cart's charge receptacle?

There are two fuses that can cause the charger not to sense the battery.
One is between the heat sink the diodes are mounted on and the white wire going to the output cable.
The other is under the seat in the cart. It connects the white wire from the charge receptacle to the main positive terminal on battery pack. (This fuse may not exist - some people just connect the white wire to the terminal if it blows.)
I'm not showing voltage from either one. I checked he fuse in the charger and that appears to be good. So it looks like it's the fuse under the seat of the cart. Now my only question is where is it?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The fuse is between the heavy white wire and main positive battery terminal at the lower right.

You can also see the black wire connected to the main negative battery terminal. The fuse might be located there instead of on the white wire.

Those two wires are what connects the battery pack to the charge receptacle and if you are not reading pack voltage at the receptacle, something is amiss with one or both of them (or the five cables connecting the six 6V batteries together.)

------------
BTW - The 4Ga cable with corroded exposed ends, crimp-on terminal lugs have been replaced with 2Ga with silver soldered, air tight lugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original - Battery.JPG (747.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #17
mechanix19
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The fuse is between the heavy white wire and main positive battery terminal at the lower right.

You can also see the black wire connected to the main negative battery terminal. The fuse might be located there instead of on the white wire.

Those two wires are what connects the battery pack to the charge receptacle and if you are not reading pack voltage at the receptacle, something is amiss with one or both of them (or the five cables connecting the six 6V batteries together.)
That was culprit. Plugged it in and it's charging fine now. Thank you so much for your help. It's really appreciated.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It's your cart, so you can do anything with it you want to.

If you have little ones around the might stick a metal object in the receptacle, I'd put a fuse in.
But for getting the batteries to charge, it will work without it in-line.

-----------------
ADDED - Glad you got it going.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO