lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
docksman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default clutches and rpm's

Ok Gents, primarily got my cart running well, here is my question, When in neutral I can get about 5300 rpm, (8* timing advance, tuneable carb, HD valve springs) when in gear I can only get about 4400 rpm, AND it seems like when I'm pulling a hill after a long flat that the primary(motor) clutch is not opening (dropping belt ) for more rpm. I'm running a stock comet 94 primary and have the HD spring on the third hole and wound tight on the seconday. Any suggestions to get more RPM in drive and how to recover rpm when running up hill?
docksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: clutches and rpm's

Things seem to be a little slow at BGW right now Docksman. Probably because everybody is outside playing with their toys instead of inside posting about them. Same thing happens in the good weather at the JD garden tractor forums I go to. Also the Corvette forums, and the 48-50 Ford pickup forums. The IT guy forums I frequent keep the pace up all year round though.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
docksman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Army it is the fun season and I'm enjoying fine tuning this machine, pulled some healthy trees outta the deep last weekend with it. Having fun and making things better
Old 06-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My guess is if you can pull a little weigh out of the primary you will see more RPMs, the stock clutch was designed to run run lower RPMs.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
docksman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I was looking into tuning the comet 94c, pulled up some info and looks pretty easy
Old 06-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You will never get unloaded rpm loaded, but should be able to hit over 5K no problem. More rpm you put lighter weights in, or drill them and reduce the weight. Get a scale and make sure each set of three are the same weight to keep the clutch balanced. Or you can get a stronger spring as well. I would try this first and it might cure the lack of down shifting as well, if not then a little more tuning may be needed. Once you get it right you don't have to mess with it again.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Wat size tire u got that matters too ?
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:02 AM   #8
docksman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm running 23 inch bear claws, funny,, I had to pull a 4wd arctic cat prowler out of a hole last night, love those tires!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Pretty sure mine is over 5500 with 22s down a road, with a 4 degree key and 1.3 rockers with HD springs, header, stock carb. 37mph gps, whatever that works out to. My $15 tach gets funny at that rpm.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps